Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3386] Mon, 16 March 2009 14:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hiya,

I've been busy writing a new tutorial on finding and fixing non-manifold areas in your model. Before I publish it 'formally', I'd love to get some feedback on it.

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/fixing-non-manifold-model s

Is there anything that isn't clear enough, or that I forgot to add?

Thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3387 is a reply to message #3386 ] Mon, 16 March 2009 17:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar loonsbury  is currently offline loonsbury
Go to all my models
I think the short videos do a great job of explaining the issues. Something I had trouble with in my STL uploads was identical vertices: not connected but apparently read as the same by Shapeways checks. This will never be obvious in Blender, but it results in manifold errors so you may want to include that in your list of causes.

http://www.loonsbury.com/img/twoedge.jpg

http://www.loonsbury.com/img/twovert.jpg

Now, I'm not sure of the mechanics on the Shapeways server, but I assume it's much like importing the resulting .STL and removing duplicate vertices - now we have manifold problems.
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3390 is a reply to message #3387 ] Tue, 17 March 2009 08:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ewco  is currently offline ewco
Go to all my models
Same problems here i think.

Most of our identical vertices, cant be deleted, they are used for different objects.

Is it possible to make a local check with the Shapeway software that checks our model? it is a hell of a job to go true all those steps to upload the model, and then wait to get a mail if it is ok. Sad

(20 times a day is no joy)
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3431 is a reply to message #3386 ] Thu, 19 March 2009 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar OracleofWuffing  is currently offline OracleofWuffing
Go to my shop
I know for the purposes of creating a "general" guide to cover common errors, this might be overstepping bounds, but is it possible that you could list some of the keystrokes you're using in the tutorial movies?
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3442 is a reply to message #3431 ] Fri, 20 March 2009 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Oracle of Wuffing:

I guess the most important ones are these:

TAB - switch from object to edit mode
X - delete selected vertices/edges/faces
F - fill selected polygon

You'll find a full hotkey list here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Reference/Hotkeys

Cheers,

Bart

Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3509 is a reply to message #3386 ] Wed, 25 March 2009 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@loonsbury: I thought about that specific problem, but I think that in the end it boils down to the 'overlapping faces' type of problem, so I don't think I'll need to add it to the tutorial. Interestingly enough, if you upload such a model *before* unifying the vertices, our server will accept the model just fine.

@ewco: do you mean integrated into your own 3D app, or as a stand-alone app?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #3514 is a reply to message #3509 ] Wed, 25 March 2009 17:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar loonsbury  is currently offline loonsbury
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Wed, 25 March 2009 16:19

Interestingly enough, if you upload such a model *before* unifying the vertices, our server will accept the model just fine.

Mine haven't worked for that reason in the past, maybe I should try again.
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #9168 is a reply to message #3390 ] Sat, 23 January 2010 03:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tones3-d  is currently offline tones3-d
Go to my shop
I, too, would love to be able to check my files before uploading, using the same software that Shapeways uses.

This would save a lot of time and effort, and a bit of network bandwidth, too.
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #28088 is a reply to message #9168 ] Tue, 24 May 2011 01:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar erich666  is currently offline erich666
Go to my shop
Little bugs in the tutorial:

"sube" should be "cube"
"undoubtably" should be "undoubtedly"
"containind" to "contained"
"vizualisation" to "visualization" or "visualisation"
"remodelling" to "remodeling"

On the subject of manifold surfaces, it would be good for you to point at the original tutorial, http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/things-to-keep-in-mind. In that tutorial, I had a question: you show a Blender operation to make the object non-manifold. What does this operation do? Does it simply move the two touching edges back a bit from each other?

I'm looking forward to unleashing the mesh manipulator MeshLab to clean up my meshes, so I want to understand "manifold" a bit more in other packages.

Eric
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #28092 is a reply to message #3386 ] Tue, 24 May 2011 03:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey Bart

I dont know if it's a far-fetched idea... but do you think shapeways can negotiate a deal either with the authors of netfabb or magics for a slim down version of their software for this community ?

Shapeways has managed to introduce and expand 3D printing to a vast audiences of hobbyists, students, designers, of all ages and occupation - this market requires a slim version of a "fix-it-all" software to fix stl files - so designers can actually spend their time and focus on designing and not (sometimes) be frustrated with an illusive non manifold error or any other common errors.

Sure, shapeways Meshmedic is a quantum leap vs. what we had to deal with before its installation
still, an affordable-for-all professional software such as those pricey packages is the next big step in my opinion.

everyone wins.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #28094 is a reply to message #28088 ] Tue, 24 May 2011 03:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
erich666 wrote on Tue, 24 May 2011 01:44

On the subject of manifold surfaces, it would be good for you to point at the original tutorial, http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/things-to-keep-in-mind. In that tutorial, I had a question: you show a Blender operation to make the object non-manifold. What does this operation do? Does it simply move the two touching edges back a bit from each other?

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M "shows" non-manifold, not "makes" non-manifold. It selects the vertices which are non-manifold in the object currently in edit mode. Note that the command does not deselect everything first, so if you only want non-manifold vertices, you should deselect everything (two taps of the a key will suffice), then use the command.
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #28096 is a reply to message #28094 ] Tue, 24 May 2011 04:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
And before show non manifold, (join all the meshes, select all the vertices and) run remove doubles (then unselect all), so you are sure you get all the problematic edges and vertices marked, not just the ones in current unwelded object.
icon7.gif  Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #78480 is a reply to message #3386 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 12:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Manjuvajra  is currently offline Manjuvajra
Go to all my models
Thanks very much for a very clear intro to this stuff - I'm a beginner in modeling and this was a great help.
Re: I'd like your feedback: new non-manifold tutorial [message #78573 is a reply to message #78480 ] Sat, 09 November 2013 15:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks! This tutorial is quite old though, so please know that our software is now capable of automatically fixing some of these issues. Still, it's always better to learn how to design well.

Previous Topic:Reducing polygons in sculptris
Next Topic:Help reducing Price on model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.