Stone Settings for Jewelry?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by TajTiger, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TajTiger
    TajTiger Member
    I've been getting questions about stone settings and I'm curious to see what's possible beyond simple prong settings. How would you go about doing a bezel setting? Or a bead setting? And do you think the (polished) silver printing is accurate enough to drop in a stone that you measured for? Can the 3D print contain all of the necessary material to create these kinds of settings without having to resort to traditional methods (i.e. soldering small strips of silver)?

Just curious. I'm not necessarily looking for a tutorial, just some examples maybe of these types of settings being done. Anything to give me an idea of what kind of work and skills are needed. I'm not a jeweler, but I'm willing to entertain the idea of something more complex than a simple print-and-cast. Thanks!

2. samhaddow
    samhaddow Member
    I don't have any answers for you but thanks for asking this question. i've been meaning to ask the same thing myself for a while.

Hopefully someone has tried these things before and can save us some time and money with experimentation.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've used compression setting on 3 rings now. The hard part is silver is very malleable. But I'm getting better at it.

4. dfoley75
    dfoley75 Well-Known Member
    I found this old thread looking for information on best practices and tips on designing settings for gems and other stones. Any pointers or tips?

I tried and failed once, and I have been reluctant to try again.

I measured the stone with a micrometer and designed the setting to accept it. What kind of space do you leave for the gem? Do you "notch" the prongs to accept the gem? I'm totally new at this, but I have been designing for a while now, just not settings like this. Thanks.