Home »  » Work in progress » 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32750] Mon, 15 August 2011 18:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
I'm trying to create some small scale gaming miniatures, but I'm worried about scaling legs and such.

I'm already aware that the arms will have to be positioned to merge with the body, the ones shown here are representative only.

index.php?t=getfile&id=10579&private=0

CS has a minimum wall thickness of 3mm, the Captain's legs only barely approach that thickness (at their thinnest). Will I have to arrange for some sort of pedestal under the figure to support it?

The base of the figure is a 15x15x3mm plinth.

Help and suggestions are what I'd like here, please.

Re: 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32754 is a reply to message #32750 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Have you done color prints before? Do you know the material?

I'm not sure whether it's suitable for gaming pieces. It is brittle even at more than 3mm and the pieces may not survive very long. 15mm is pretty tiny for that material.

Also, at Shapeways, they infuse the pieces with a strange yellowish wax. The surface remains pretty rough and catches scratches very easily, e.g. from your finger nails. These white scratches are not easy to remove.

Seems you might be better off with WSF, dyed in yellow and the eyes and mouth painted.

Re: 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32755 is a reply to message #32754 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 20:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was beginning to suspect WSF would be a better idea, but I was attracted to CS for its affordability.

I'm getting some other figures printed in CS to see how they'll turn out, but otherwise, yeah, this is my first colour print.
Re: 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32780 is a reply to message #32755 ] Tue, 16 August 2011 06:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
Your model is a prime candidate for hollowing. Follow the steps at

https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/workflows/hollowing -a-model

and the volume for WSF will go down by +-60% and price will be lower than color.

Make a tiny escape hole such that the inner material remains trapped in the model and makes it sturdy and a little heavier.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 August 2011 06:51 UTC]

Re: 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32789 is a reply to message #32780 ] Tue, 16 August 2011 08:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, I'm aware of the advantages of hollowing (from my other models) - I was more interested in experiences in how to use and consider CS as a material.
Re: 15mm Gaming Miniatures in Colour Sandstone [message #32849 is a reply to message #32789 ] Wed, 17 August 2011 15:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar LeftySpinhand  is currently offline LeftySpinhand
Go to my shop
pssst... when making holes for hollowing out model interiors, You actually want to make 2 holes (they can be close to each other, thats ok) so they can blast into one hole, and the excess material can blast out thru the other!

Thanks for listening,
-Lefty
www.shapeways.com/shops/lefty

Previous Topic:First attempt at 3D
Next Topic:Retail display

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.