Home » Support » 3D Applications » Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #32664] Sun, 14 August 2011 14:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar woody64 is currently online woody64
Go to my shop
I've found an interesting blender script (crosssections) from Yorik:
http://yorik.uncreated.net/guestblog.php?tag=blender&com plete=3

I've adapted it to help me to search for thin walls:
1) Shows my item
2) now the script is called generating 5 cross sections parallel to XZ
3) I've moved the cross sections to allow better viewing

(not so bad. the original code seems to have troubles with intersections showing them as holes)

Woody64

index.php?t=getfile&id=10528&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 14 August 2011 14:42 UTC]

Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #32673 is a reply to message #32664 ] Sun, 14 August 2011 18:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And here's a pictur eof using the cross selection together with Blender Caliper for measurement.
Woody64
index.php?t=getfile&id=10532&private=0

Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #33298 is a reply to message #32673 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow, that's a clever and unexpected application of that script, thanks for sharing! Does it work in the newer Blender versions as well?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #50408 is a reply to message #33298 ] Tue, 26 June 2012 19:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I will take a look on my newer installation (Ubuntu 11 with the blender installed there) to see the reaction there.

Since I have been asked for the script I will upload my modified version later on and publish the link here.

Woody64
Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #50462 is a reply to message #50408 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The script also works with blender 2.49b.

But I have adapted some internals and only reused the main feature of the original ...
http://minifigcustomsin3d.mac-au.eu/object_CrossSection.py
(There are some sections inside which have to be adapted to each designers need: numbers of cut planes and distance)

Currently I'm looking inside a problem with several different 3d meshes which intersect. There the blender mesh fill modus currently used does not work correctly (caused by more then one linked vertex group)
(You see that also in the first picture where there are some holes in the cut area )

Woody64

[Updated on: Wed, 27 June 2012 18:47 UTC]

Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #50674 is a reply to message #50462 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
... some small enhancements to the user interface
- number of cuts selectable
- distance editable
- cut planes selectable
- filled cuts: but unfortunately that's experimental since
-- the blender/python fill does not cope correctly with that
=> if somebody has a code snippet to generate a list of linked vertices that may help
(since the problem arises when there are more then 1 closed loop of vertices in the cut, in that case the fill has to fill each loop of linked vertices in an extra step which may work)

index.php?t=getfile&id=18140&private=0

Re: Cutting Items along a plane (blender script) - Thin walls [message #50770 is a reply to message #50674 ] Tue, 03 July 2012 22:10 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Solved a lot of issues (including my raw/k3d importer, which caused the previous problems)

You see one of my objects cut by 3 planes in each direction.

The YZ plane is shifted out of the resulting figure to take a deeper look on it.

On the bottom left you can see the new menu.

index.php?t=getfile&id=18185&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2012 22:12 UTC]

Previous Topic:Solidworks and shelling a model
Next Topic:Convert a Chem3D file to printable format

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.