Design/Price Issue?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Corrose, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Corrose
    Corrose Member
    Hello all,

I had a quick question about design and how it translates to shapeways pricing. I just uploaded a 1/6 scale urn that I designed, and it's no taller than about 1.9" and no wider than about 1.2" wide.

The quote the site gives me is nearly $40 per print in the lowest priced white plastic they offer. I have done a couple of other larger pieces and they only come in at about $8 each.

The urn deisgn doesn't have any extreme angles or undercuts, so Im confused at the pricetag for such a small print.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Is the urn hollow?
    Is the size correct on the model upload page?

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Paul

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Also note that extreme angles and undercuts don't affect the price. Only the volume effects the price.

4. Corrose
    Corrose Member
    Yes the urn is hollow, so if it costs more by the material volume, sounds like if I had the urn filled in solid it would cost more? Wow, seemed to me that it being hollow raised the price.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If it were cnc'd than yes hollow would cost more as it would take more time. Seeing it's built layer by layer, you are only charged for the volume. Now with some materials there are density discounts (volume compared to bounding box). To check you can look down the right side of the item page, and there you'll see the dimensions of the bounding box, and the volume. You can compare the dimensions in your software and the volume if you software has a function for it.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Or use NetFabb (free) to check dimensions and volume as well as error checking and model repair. [​IMG]