Home » Support » 3D Design » Design/Price Issue?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Design/Price Issue? [message #31808] Fri, 29 July 2011 18:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar Corrose  is currently offline Corrose
Go to all my models
Hello all,

I had a quick question about design and how it translates to shapeways pricing. I just uploaded a 1/6 scale urn that I designed, and it's no taller than about 1.9" and no wider than about 1.2" wide.

The quote the site gives me is nearly $40 per print in the lowest priced white plastic they offer. I have done a couple of other larger pieces and they only come in at about $8 each.

The urn deisgn doesn't have any extreme angles or undercuts, so Im confused at the pricetag for such a small print.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Re: Design/Price Issue? [message #31846 is a reply to message #31808 ] Sat, 30 July 2011 08:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Is the urn hollow?
Is the size correct on the model upload page?

Just a couple of thoughts.
Paul

Re: Design/Price Issue? [message #31928 is a reply to message #31808 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Also note that extreme angles and undercuts don't affect the price. Only the volume effects the price.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Design/Price Issue? [message #31931 is a reply to message #31808 ] Mon, 01 August 2011 18:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Corrose  is currently offline Corrose
Go to all my models
Yes the urn is hollow, so if it costs more by the material volume, sounds like if I had the urn filled in solid it would cost more? Wow, seemed to me that it being hollow raised the price.
Re: Design/Price Issue? [message #32065 is a reply to message #31808 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If it were cnc'd than yes hollow would cost more as it would take more time. Seeing it's built layer by layer, you are only charged for the volume. Now with some materials there are density discounts (volume compared to bounding box). To check you can look down the right side of the item page, and there you'll see the dimensions of the bounding box, and the volume. You can compare the dimensions in your software and the volume if you software has a function for it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Design/Price Issue? [message #32067 is a reply to message #32065 ] Thu, 04 August 2011 17:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 04 August 2011 17:27

...snip... You can compare the dimensions in your software and the volume if your software has a function for it.

Or use NetFabb (free) to check dimensions and volume as well as error checking and model repair. http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

Previous Topic:Frosted Detail & Frosted Ultra Detail waterproof?
Next Topic:A Hollow Question

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.