Splitting complex models

Discussion in 'Materials' started by TreadshotA1, May 13, 2011.

1. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Hey all!

I'm just getting into really serious modelling, and I'm about to finish up my first real, BIG print. Upwards of $200 big, and that's really big for a kid still mainly relying on pocket money. :laughing:

Anyways, it's a very complex robot, with lots of joints and the like, and it needs to be printed in, i'd guess ~100 small parts. if this was all jumbled up in one bag, and shipped to me, then it would be hell to build it, as figuring out what goes where would be a nightmare. So my question is, can I ask Shapeways to separately bag bits of it (the model would require more than one bag anyways, as it is so big and complex)? I'm more concerned with whether I can specify how to split it, like when you go to the supermarket and get things bagged in groups, meat, vegetables, etc. I want my model separated into certain parts when it's shipped, instead of just being split randomly.

Is this possible? Or would I have to split it into separate models (which obviously brings about more startup costs, and is a nuisance in general)?

*I'd link the model, but I'd much rather keep it private for the time being, until I have a working sample.

Edit: there is a screenshot of the robot in question here, but the specific parts aren't shown because, well, trade secrets are secrets. ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Sounds like an awesome project! contact support to see what they can do to help. You could connect parts you want to stay together with a sprue that you can cut off when you get them.

3. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Yes, I have been asking around on a Transformers board, and some have mentioned sprues, but I have no idea of how to go about that? I don't know what diameter will both print, but be easy to break off when I get it.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Depends on the material. WSF .7mm the other plastics 1mm. Use the minimum wall thickness.

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    That's a cool looking robot!
    You might be able to cut down the cost a bit by making parts hollow.

6. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Sadly everything that can be hollowed already has been, often going down to 1.5 mm Walls (1mm I find a bit flimsy sometimes). And the latest quote suggests ~$290. Ouch.

EDIT: got the response from Shapeways. Apparently it's sprues or bust.

Of course, I'm not going to sprue it. That's stupid. The sprues would cost an extra $7-8 (it's a lot of parts), while paying the startup fees after separating my model into bits will only incur the startup fee 6 more times (7 times instead of once), hitting $9 startup extra. So spruing the model costs me about 2-3 hours work, and only saves me $1. Genius, Shapeways, pure genius. J/k

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Uh, no, its not stupid, all companies that produce kits do it. And 7-8 bucks on a model that is hitting 290$ is not much at all. Expecting Shapeways to sort hundreds of printed bits for you in one job order is a bit crazy.

Examples of Gundamn sprues:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gundamn%20sprues&am p;um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N& tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=648

All model kit builders use cutters of sorts like open wire cutters to remove the pieces from sprues then trim off the excess with an exacto blade. This is purely common.

8. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Spruing as a concept, I never said was stupid.

I said it is stupid to sprue in this order. The money is the same both ways, and no sprues is less work for me. So it is stupid to sprue the parts.

I also happen to be an avid model builder and kit basher (google my username), so I know all about sprues. They also have a habit of leaving sprue marks on the parts that you want. I've built 3 PG's, 20 or so MG's and so many HG's I can't count them all. So I know about sprues. I am a toy designer, after all.

So it is stupid, not only is the price the same, but separating the models is also less work, and less damage to the parts in question. I'd say that spruing is very stupid in this case.

Hoping Shapeways would help was always a long shot, but I don't see why it was crazy. It was worth a shot, as I had nothing to lose barring the 2 minutes it took to write the email.

Anyways, this topic has run it's course, no?

9. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Ah, I see, I am sorry, I mistook your post here:
    As meaning you weren't quite clear on sprues. My bad.

Indubitably.