Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Product Inventory Problems
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Product Inventory Problems [message #26478] Sun, 24 April 2011 23:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
I'm really getting sick of the product inventory manager. Nine times out of ten it doesn't even finish loading and just stalls out. Now I'm stuck having to set all the prices the hard way, one at a time. Am I the only one having this problem?

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26634 is a reply to message #26478 ] Wed, 27 April 2011 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer  is currently offline Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
I have the same problem. With 100+ items in my shop, it takes a few minutes to lead and another few minutes to save. Saving has gone wrong several times.
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26638 is a reply to message #26634 ] Wed, 27 April 2011 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
with over 200 the product inventory waists so much time. i have asked shapeways to give me access through there api so i can write a better one.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26641 is a reply to message #26478 ] Wed, 27 April 2011 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
My life would be so much easier if the interface just showed public (and perhaps also hidden) models - it would save much frustration looking through my 200 models to find the 20 or so that are actually available to customers. Of course I should clean up, but it seems hacking in to Shapeways' servers and making that change myself would be more time-efficient. Laughing
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26829 is a reply to message #26478 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 09:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
Can I add a "me too" here

I've got about 240 models in my shop now and it is going far too slow to use.

The only way I've been able to use it recently is to start up a Firefox session for this alone and leave it running in the background while I do other things - I use Chrome as my main browser.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2011 18:08 UTC]

Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26851 is a reply to message #26829 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
I don't have nearly that many models in my shop, but the inventory manager runs quite slow for me as well. I almost hesitate to expand my shop because of the difficulty in handling everything.

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26853 is a reply to message #26851 ] Mon, 02 May 2011 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
When I load the page, I always got 2 or 3 alert messages from my system (Windows 7 / IE 8 ) saying that there is a script that is taking all the resources and asking if i want to stop it... Until now I have resisted and answered no, but...

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2011 17:19 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26960 is a reply to message #26478 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ew you use IE? lol I haven't used the product manager in a while. Been thinking over my business model, and no time to implement any ideas as of yet. (every now and then I'll make 10 cents as that's what I set most of my mark-ups to while reorganizing) Just opened it up to check it out. Opens fine, but is sluggish and gives me a clue as to why. I can scroll down, and everything moves except the products. They take a little while to scroll. Perhaps shapeways should make the images lower res for the inventory manager, or as I've suggested before, have an option to have no image.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26978 is a reply to message #26960 ] Wed, 04 May 2011 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Quote:

Ew you use IE? lol

Yes, I am quite old-fashioned... Smile

By the way, puting a window with a scrollbar within a window with a scrollbar is the guarantee to get a total mess.
index.php?t=getfile&id=8687&private=0
And, as you can see in the screenshot, the second scroll bar is completly useless because there is nothing under the internal window (well there is some garbage actually, let's say there is nothing useful...).

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #26992 is a reply to message #26978 ] Thu, 05 May 2011 03:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
it is even worse on my tablet PC. with the on screen keyboard active I can not see all parts that are necessary.

Also what is with doing everything by ajax. when ever possible things should be done locally. there is no reason to do ajax call to calculate the sum of cost+profit. Also your script should reivaluate the field values before submitting as some times the value your system thinks the filed says is not what it actually says.

Some usefull functions:

// Browser Window Size and Position
// copyright Stephen Chapman, 3rd Jan 2005, 8th Dec 2005
// you may copy these functions but please keep the copyright notice as well
function pageWidth() {
  return window.innerWidth != null? window.innerWidth : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientWidth ?       document.documentElement.clientWidth : document.body != null ? document.body.clientWidth : null;
}
function pageHeight() {
  return  window.innerHeight != null? window.innerHeight : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientHeight ?  document.documentElement.clientHeight : document.body != null? document.body.clientHeight : null;
}
function posLeft() {
  return typeof window.pageXOffset != 'undefined' ? window.pageXOffset :document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollLeft ? document.documentElement.scrollLeft : document.body.scrollLeft ? document.body.scrollLeft : 0;
}
function posTop() {
  return typeof window.pageYOffset != 'undefined' ?  window.pageYOffset : document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollTop ? document.documentElement.scrollTop : document.body.scrollTop ? document.body.scrollTop : 0;
}
function posRight() {
  return posLeft()+pageWidth();
}
function posBottom() {
  return posTop()+pageHeight();
}

and the proper way to do virtual frames:

css:
 body{
  margin:0;
  padding:<? echo HEADER_HEIGHT; ?>px 0 0px <? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
 }
 div#header{
  position:absolute;
  top:0;
  left:<? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
  width:500%;
  height:<? echo HEADER_HEIGHT; ?>px;
 }
  div#innerheader{
  left:0;
  width:<? echo TABLE_ROW_WIDTH; ?>px;
  height:100%;
 }
 div#left-sidebar{
  width:<? echo LEFT_WIDTH; ?>px;
  height:<? echo TABLE_COLUMN_HEIGHT; ?>px;
 }
  div#innerleft-sidebar{
  width:100%;
 }
 @media screen{
  body>div#header{
   position:fixed;
  }
  body>div#left-sidebar{
  }
  body>div#footer{
  }
 }
 * html body{
  overflow:hidden;
 } 
 * html div#content{
  overflow:auto;
 }

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html>
<body id="body">
  <div id="header">
    <div id="innerheader">
      Place top row here
    </div>
  </div>
  <div id="left-sidebar">
    <div id="innerleft-sidebar">
      Place left column here
    </div>
  </div>
  <div id="content">
    Place rest of table here
  </div>
<body>
</html>

with this method only 1 bar will be seen. It will fit the page no mater the size and you can move the inner divs around without generating scroll bars to give the same effect as you have now. Please note I used some inline PHP to setup the table dimensions. You need to define the constants in your code.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #27005 is a reply to message #26992 ] Thu, 05 May 2011 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Totally agree to all statements above.
Ecspecially the scroll bars and the not automatic sizing of the windows makes me crazy. Hope you get rid of it ...

Woody64

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:05 UTC]

More then 7500 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
Re: Product Inventory Problems [message #27399 is a reply to message #26478 ] Thu, 12 May 2011 15:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
This is one of the worst pages on our site right now. We're redesigning it with the idea to re-create the page in a usable fashion, as soon as we wrap up a few priority projects. It should happen in a couple of weeks.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead

Previous Topic:Improvement voting system
Next Topic:Models Fails-Order Cancelled-Now What?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.