Anemone Lamp

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Shuggster, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
  2. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Very nice! Have you ordered it in any of the other colors? It might look awesome in Indigo or Red... If we had Winter blue... now THAT would be awesome!

Ray

3. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @Shuggster incredibly cool, but one question: I just looked at the design in your shop, and I'm wondering how you actually get a lightbulb in there, and how it gets supported.

4. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    Hi Ana, cheers! :) As for the technical info the lamp is in two pieces, the top part lifts off the base. Inside the base there is a fitting for a 30mm lampholder.

Lampholders have two parts, the main section for the bulb and a collar piece which screws into it. I'd pass the power cord of the lampholder through the stem of the base part and feed the screw thread of the lampholder up through the ring in the base of the lamp, you can then screw on the lampholder collar from above to hold everything in position.

You'd need to cannibalise a lamp for the internal parts.

Hey Ray, cheers mate. I like the white if I'm honest, but yeah red sounds tempting. I haven't ordered this one yet but I've put it in for the ICFF contest, maybe I'll get lucky.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Good Luck! It's an awesome design. And i do indeed like it in white. I just also like exploring other options, That's what i do, I like to look at the How else. :D

Ray

6. jeff
    jeff Member
    yep, nice work Hugh! I'd have no qualms w/ this winning the icff contest. seeing it as a hanging pendent lamp would work nicely too I think.

7. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    Cheers Jeff, I was considering making a pendant version and possibly a smaller version of the lamp also.

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Will this print okay with such long, thin, unsupported sections?

9. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    I'm pretty confident it would, the limbs have a 1mm wall thickness and have a cylindrical cross section, and extend out about 12 cm, towards the narrow points near the tips the wall thickness to diameter ratio is quite high. I'm sure you could bend them if you wanted to but I think they'd be able to support themselves pretty well.

I wouldn't imagine the printing would be an issue the powder around the print supports the piece during printing in any case.

But yeah I'd love to buy it and prove that, but its a bit pricey :)

10. lensman
    I've been wanting to design a lamp for a while now... Can you imagine this in the new Polished WSF?

Glenn

11. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    It would be sweet :cool: although I've just checked and that material type isn't available for the model, too big for the polishing process maybe?

I've got a whole bunch of lighting/lamp ideas but for parts that size/price I'm not sure theres enough of a market for them on shapeways to justify the time investment, although having a small collection of lighting models would be cool.

You should give it a go, I always like seeing new lamp designs going up on shapeways.

12. lensman
    Yes, I will. There are a lot of lamp designs "out there" using 3D printing technology and some of them waaaay expensive. I guess if you can market yourself as some fancy designer there will always be people willing to pay for the name :rolleyes:

Glenn