Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Model not Displaying with Color?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25639] Tue, 05 April 2011 04:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar OracleofWuffing  is currently offline OracleofWuffing
Go to my shop
Here is the model on which I'm working. It's based off of a previous model, which turned out to be too thin to print in Full-Color sandstone. It's uh, been a rough and bumpy ride (this was "baby's first retopology"), so I was really thrilled to see it successfully upload. The thing is, it's not showing up as color on the preview. I know I made UVs and uploaded a png with it, checking the wrl confirms it's using the png, and it uploaded without any error e-mails... But it's not showing up in color. I've marked it public-viewable and part-available for the time being, but I just want to make sure if I order it, if it'll come in color or not. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?
Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25649 is a reply to message #25639 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 08:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Did you check that the image filename is just the filename without any directory path?

Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25671 is a reply to message #25639 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stuartar  is currently offline stuartar
Go to my shop
I've had no luck using the .wrl file format. So, I gave .x3d a go, it worked
first time! Smile (i'm using Blender).
Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25672 is a reply to message #25671 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 20:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
We are investigating right now. There maybe a problem with color upload without textures.

I hope to tell you more tomorrow.

Best,

Robert
Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25685 is a reply to message #25649 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 02:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 08:23

Did you check that the image filename is just the filename without any directory path?

Yeah, it's just the filename, without any directory. Like last time, I had to manually change it and convert the BMP file to a PNG, so it reads:

url "realsfinallowfiTex0.png"

(Yes, I know, I have a horrible naming convention problem.)

stuartar wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 19:39

I've had no luck using the .wrl file format. So, I gave .x3d a go, it worked
first time! Smile (i'm using Blender).

Heh, I'll keep it in mind, and I might try it out if I get some free time anytime soon. I'm using ZBrush, and they've got a plugin that's supposed to do well for exporting to printable formats, but hey, I was already using Blender for part of it, too.

robert wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 20:28

We are investigating right now. There maybe a problem with color upload without textures.

I hope to tell you more tomorrow.

Best,

Robert

Good to hear that you're on it. There was a texture file with it, though, but you're the guy who knows more about this stuff. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2011 02:31 UTC]

Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25692 is a reply to message #25685 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 09:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I got your model working with colour Smile
I'm not entirely sure, but it seems there may be a texture scale issue - possibly something to do with native VRML units being treated as meters...
I opened your file in Accutrans3D, then went to 'Save with options', made sure 'UV', 'Texture Path' and 'Partial' were all ticked, then went into 'Use Units' under 'Output Scale Factor' and selected millimeters for both Export and Import - hit OK & Save - zipped up the .wrl with your original png and uploaded.

see attached file Smile

Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25699 is a reply to message #25692 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, stop4stuff. I don't really understand why that works, but at least it works. I'm getting a second color uploaded, and ordering shortly, but I'm leaving the original up so as not to interfere with robert's investigation on the matter.
Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25706 is a reply to message #25699 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
You can take it down if you want to. I have a copy sitting in our ticket system for the investigation.

Best,

Robert
Re: Model not Displaying with Color? [message #25947 is a reply to message #25706 ] Tue, 12 April 2011 01:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Sadly, it appears the model wasn't Full-Color printable. I got an e-mail saying that my hole was way too small for cleaning, so I guess I'm going to the drawing board again. This is the concept I'm going for, it's still in Sketchup so it'll have about a hundred not-two-manifold edges to fix in post, but I'm wondering if there are any obvious issues with the concept? Now that I know that the hole needs to be bigger, I'm hoping that that's big enough, I'm a little bit concerned about how well it's supported, though.

It'd be nice if we could test if a model is printable in a given material after uploading but before order.ing. Smile

Previous Topic:Texture display issue
Next Topic:Creating better lives with 3d printing!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.