New to 3d printing - Concept Phone

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 36525_deleted, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 36525_deleted
    36525_deleted Member
    Hi everybody,

I am a new member to this community. I am a 3d artist for about 7 years now but new to 3d printing. At the moment we are working on a concept mobile phone. The designing and modeling is already done. Now we are wondering what material is the best for us to use. The phone is a bit smaller then an iphone. And should we print several parts apart? Like the screen should be printed in glass? and the body in aluminium for example?

Hope you guys can help me out with it

For some of my work goto: www.maartennauw.com

Thanks,
    Maarten

2. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Maarten, welcome!

So you're trying to create a phone where the case is made exclusively through 3D printing? Before any of us are able to help, we probably need more info on intended features. I bet you'll be right about separate printed pieces being the best way to go, though.

Can you share a rendering with us? :)

3. 36525_deleted
    36525_deleted Member
    Hi Ana,

Sure here are some screengrabs. There are seperate parts like the black thing on the back where the cameras are located. And there is a big seperate piece at the back. Also there is a name logo at the top of the back how would we go about that?

Screen1.jpg

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Looks nice,

You could ad depth or emboss logo to make it visible,

We can 3D print alumide but not aluminum,

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/alumide

The glass we 3D print is not transparent, so you would need to cut and capture some toughened (I guess) glass or use lexan?

Good luck

5. 36525_deleted
    36525_deleted Member
    Thanks. Embossing the text is a good idea. But it has a different color then the body. That would be impossible to paint I guess?

I'm not sure what you mean with " cut and capture some toughened (I guess) glass or use lexan?"

6. BAROBA
    BAROBA Member
    Dag Maarten,
    Hij bedoelt ' je kunt het beste gehard glas of Lexan gebruiken, op maat gesneden'.

Groeten,

rob

7. cool looking phone you got there!

i assume this is just a prototype and you are not worried about the inside. then you can print in plastic- you are going to loose all color. to capture what you are seeing with the color shapeways has a color printer and you will need to generate a texture map and send all of the parts into them zipped up.