Can Shapeways print a stainless steel spaghetti?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by kaadesign, Apr 30, 2016.

1. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
  2. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    That's a protein. Yes, it won't print -- fails the sandcastle test spectacularly.

3. kaadesign
    Protein,- that´s right...

Is there any other material / size possible?
    Polyamide?
    A miniature made of silver?
    Sandstone?

How was this model made?

[​IMG]

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Use strong&flexible and paint it (primer plus metal effect paint should look at least as good as the "steel"), or scale it down and print in (plated) brass. Sandstone would have the same sandcastle problem - high time for the mythical beast of Hewlett to rear its color printhead. :-/

(That photograph could be anything from a Stratasys Objet print to FDM to old-school copper wire plus modeling clay. Hmm. Found the article you copied it from, so make that "painted strong&flexible or FDM print" - most of the article talks about "sandstone" models of a strip-mined landscape with the PhD student's protein print used only for a caption)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    People who print a lot of proteins get good at putting strategic bridges across points where the strings approach each other closely.

To me that sounds like a PITA, and of course it doesn't work for larger structures, so I prefer to draw proteins using subsurface laser etching in glass. Which I do at http://crystalprotein.com.

6. kaadesign
    Thanks for the friendly advices.

We try with WSF.