Coin limitations w/ sprue's?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by chriswh86, Apr 8, 2016.

1. chriswh86
    chriswh86 Member
    Hi all,

Ive been testing out some coins lately for printing via Shapeways. I have done them in singles, 4, 8 and 16 packs. Each coin is connected to the next coin with a small 1mm sprue. All 16 coins in my biggest STL lay flat. I then doubled to 32 coins and put the next set of coins above the first set and attached the 2nd set to the 1st set with sprue's again.

However, when I go to upload the 32 coin STL file to Shapeways it stalls out and doesnt move on to the quote section/manual checks area. The STL is only 22mb.

I have seen that WSF supports multiple parts per STL. Metallic Plastic only supports 16 parts per STL. Is there some sort of issue now that I have 32 coins attached with sprue's? I thought Shapeways would still only recognize the 32 coins as 1 single part since they are all attached.

Any help on why my STL might not be uploading would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Chris,

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    What's your total number of triangles? There's a stated limit of 1 million triangles per file.

3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    I think it is mathematically impossible to have more than a million polygons in a 22mb file, but I have had complex geometry confuse the automatic test before. I just had to make modifications to my process (volumetric topo values, increase gaps, etc), modify the model in mysterious ways and hope it get past. Voodoo. -S

4. chriswh86
    chriswh86 Member
    Hey all,

Thanks for the replys so far. I dont know what it was, I tried it again and it went finally after about 10 minutes? I tried 20-30 times yesterday with no luck. I didnt change anything to get it to work. Sorry for waisting everyones time.

5. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    No problem, moral support is sometimes on tap too. -S