Can you 3D print a functional light-bulb socket?

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by 1143976_deleted, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Hello I need to know if I can 3D print a light-bulb socket through shapeways.

Can I 3D print a conductive connection to the lightbulb by 3D printing a socket in two different materials through shapeways service? One conductive material and PLA plastic for the body of the socket.

I know it can be done, but can it be done through Shapeways?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You could print a nylon body (no FDM printers at shapeways, so no PLA) and a brass insert that snap together after printing, but not both
    materials printed in place.

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Be careful of heat issues and electricity. Depending on the bulb used the plastic could become too hot for 3D printed plastic materials when the bulb is turned on. Also depending on the voltages you are dealing with the plastics might not be a good insulator, particularly in the case of porous materials that might contain moisture or other impurities embedded inside of them during manufacture(like aluminum powder). If you are dealing with low voltages (less than 12V) and low powers (LED bulbs) there is a smaller chance of things becoming shockingly exciting.

4. Thank you for your concern. I am using LED bulbs. I study product development and this was one thing I had in mind before going further with the process.