Home » Support » 3D Applications » Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20320] Wed, 10 November 2010 18:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar Lonecoon  is currently offline Lonecoon
Go to my shop
I'm having a problem with my CAD program, namely Emachineshop.com's free CAD software. I've been able to export .STL files in the past, yet for some reason, when I try to export something now, it fails. I can render them just fine, so I know the designs are good, it's just not working. I suppose I got what I paid for, but I'm still at a loss as how to get usable files.

The only thing I can export my drawings as are .DXF. When I import them into Blender or Accutrans, they're just planes, rather than a modeled

I'm out of ideas as to what to do next.

I was able to nab the XML files the CAD uses for the conversion, but I can't translate that into a usable Shapeways file either.

.DXF file is attach, if anyone has a clue how to help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Attachment: melta2.1.DXF
    (Size: 589.74KB, Downloaded 101 time(s))

Re: Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20324 is a reply to message #20320 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Does it have a default format that you can put up? I'm downloading the software now to see what I can asses.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20328 is a reply to message #20324 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 21:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Lonecoon  is currently offline Lonecoon
Go to my shop
The default format is .EMS, which I'm guessing is a proprietary format based off .dxf files. That's just a wild guess, as the file sizes are fairly close.

Other than the fact it can't export worth a darn with curved models half the time, it's well worth the download.

• Attachment: melta2.1.ems
    (Size: 306.93KB, Downloaded 57 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 21:19 UTC]

Re: Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20365 is a reply to message #20328 ] Thu, 11 November 2010 13:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm having no luck getting it to export, but I do love that it may be able to export iges. I'm looking at it in eMachineshop's 3D view and the bottom 2 appear to have issues in the handle.

It appears the problem may be slight misalignments in the wires. I don't know how to use the software so I cant try to fix it. But I did draw it in my software using the dxf as a guide. But it won't import into the emachineshop software... Oh well at least here's an stl you could upload.

• Attachment: melta2.1.stl
    (Size: 1.57MB, Downloaded 61 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2010 14:18 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20411 is a reply to message #20320 ] Thu, 11 November 2010 22:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
I contacted them because I wanted to try taking some files that I have made for shapeways, and see if they could CNC them out of wax (since I need wax and SW still doesn't offer it).

When it wouldn't import my files, I asked them what was going on.

I was told, "Import and export in our program doesn't often work at this point".

Sad

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion [message #20431 is a reply to message #20320 ] Fri, 12 November 2010 13:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yea the model I made, I tried to import it into emachineshop by iges and sat. No luck, it gives you a pop up that says it currently doesn't import arches...

michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Creating zdepth in Blender 2.54 question
Next Topic:3D draw in .rar file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.