No Color and I've submitted with textures

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by fredfx, Mar 5, 2016.

1. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    I just submitted a model that I want to print in full color sandstone. I've submitted a zip file with the textures.
    I output an .obj and .png from Sculptris.

I've attached the zip file which contains the obj and the texture.
    Do I need to attach a normals map?

What am I doing wrong?

best,

Fred Raimondi
    www.fredraimondi.com

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Shapeways does not read color or texture from obj files, you need to export to DAE ("Collada") or WRL/X3D ("VRML2") for that.

3. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Thanks so much. Does the DAE file carry the texture?

And what do you use to paint textures? A free tool or something you've paid for?

best,

Fred

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Yes, as far as I know DAE files usually contain the texture image in an encoded format (though I believe it is also possible to make them link to a separate image file). You could try using meshlab or meshmixer (both free) to convert your OBJ if Sculptris does not write the other formats.
    (And I cannot really help with creating textures, as my "designs" are created by running experimental data through my own software, with colors assigned per vertex or per vrml geometry primitive node.)

5. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    If all else fails VRML & the separate texture in a zip has always worked for me. -S

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hi Fred, welcome to Shapeways! :D

I edited your file in Zbrush and got it to show up correctly in Shapeways. Here's the 3D tools link to it. It doesn't look very good in the 3D tools because Shapeways hasn't activated shading for color models yet. You can download the attached ZIP file and upload it to Shapeways if you would like to print it. I didn't know what units you used so I just guessed that you used mm units, which makes your sculpture about 50 mm tall.

You didn't do anything wrong, it's just that Sculptris and Shapeways are incompatible when it comes to color. If you really want to get into digital sculpting you should get Zbrush. It's around $750, but it's the best digital sculpting software available and once you learn it you can do just about anything when it comes to digital sculpting. You can get a free trial for 45 days if you'd like to try it out. And then there is Blender! Blender is free and you can do digital sculpting and polypainting with it and it exports in file formats that are compatible with Shapeways Full Color Sandstone.

For image editing just about everyone that uses commercial software for this uses Adobe Photoshop. Adobe's cloud service for Photoshop CC is only $120 per year; no contracts. That's what I have. However, if you want free then there's Gimp. Gimp is ALMOST as good as Photoshop! :D

Attached Files:

7. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Hey UniverseBecoming!

Thanks so much for doing that! I'm a pretty experienced 2D digital artist - I helped Digital Compositing evolve to what it is today.
    (check out my website)

Not so great at modeling though....I don't do all that much digital sculpting, so I'll give Blender a try. I can't justify $750 for ZBrush.

I'm getting an error from Shapeways regarding wall thickness. Any ideas how to fix that?

ANd if that's the case how do I do something like the tip of the beak and keep the integrity of the shape?

I'm assuming they print these things hollow, no? So is that what they're referring to?

And thanks again for your help.

Here's my contact info if you ever need any compositing help.

best,

Fred
    fred@fredraimondi.com
    www.fredraimondi.com

8. UniverseBecoming
    Nice work! :D You'll do well in 3D too once you get the hang of it I'll bet!

The wall thickness errors are questionable but lots of times the automated checks are not correct when finding errors. The automated checks are useful though for pointing out egregious errors. The beak should be fine but the two on the sides may cause a problem. If you have it printed a Shapeways employee will take a look as they manually review all orders before printing to make sure no print errors will happen. If they think the wall is too thin they'll send you an email about that. In that case you could contact me and I could thicken those areas for you. Or, you could thicken those areas in Blender.

We make our models hollow to save money mainly.

I'll definitely look you up if I'm ever stuck on how to do compositing!

9. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    I want to print in sandstone and it won't even pass, so I can't order.
    I'm going to try thickening them up myself and see if I get any further.

Thanks so much!

10. UniverseBecoming
    If you're using the file that I converted to VRML then you should be able to order it. Look at this screen cap concerning that file.

What can be ordered.jpg

If the add to cart button is lit up it is able to be ordered. The way it works is, the materials with a red X are obvious to the Shapeways' automated checking robot that it cannot work and so it won't let you order. The exclamation point in a yellow triangle means that the robot found something that may or may not be an issue and so will let you order so it can be checked by a human. A green check mark means everything is ok, however, it can STILL be rejected once a human takes a look and finds something the robot is not smart enough to detect.

Over the years we've had quite a bit of HEATED discussion in the forums about this whole process and as a result Shapeways responded with Print It Anyway, for some materials. Basically, the way that works is if Shapeways tells someone it won't print, they can say, "I don't care what you think! PRINT IT ANYWAY!" HAHA! :D

I didn't take measurements of those thin spots so I don't know for sure if they are a problem, but Shapeways will check if you place an order. You won't be charged until your design is cleared to print. I wouldn't bother making changes until a human from Shapeways measures those areas and tells you, nope, we won't print it because it's going to leave holes in those areas.

If it comes down to it, you can make the modifications in Blender. I'd give you the steps but I haven't used Blender in so long that I cannot remember anything about it. There are LOTS of Blender experts running around here in the forums though that can tell you the steps. Also, I can make the changes if you'd like as well, just let me know.

11. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Hey thanks Jim.

Navigating Shapeways is a bit daunting at times. It's great that talented artists like you are willing to help! I'm going to PRINT IT ANYWAY!

I'll let you know what happens.

best,

Fred

12. UniverseBecoming
    Thanks! Happy to contribute! :D