Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Help with exporting from C4D
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help with exporting from C4D [message #18922] Mon, 11 October 2010 14:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar andetom  is currently offline andetom
Go to all my models
I'm using Cinema4D to make my model, and I'd like to print in full color sandstone. I understand that I need to export it as VRML and tag it with "has color". Does that just mean add "has color" to the filename?

My main problem is this... I have C4D's units set up as cm. My entire design fits within a 4 cm cube. When I upload the file to Shapeways, it tells me my design is 100.00 x 296.00 x 368.48 cm. There must be some step that I'm missing while exporting.

I go to File > Export > VRML 2 (.wrl) and these are my settings:
Scale ... 1 (Centimeters)
Format ... (checkmarked)
Backface Culling ... (not checkmarked)
Save Animation ... (not checkmarked)
Textures ... Referenced

Should I checkmark Backface Culling? Should I change the Textures to "With File" instead of "Referenced"?

And when using a texture file, do you recommend having the file in the same exact folder as the .wrl file, or having it in the usual "tex" folder that C4D likes?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks!
Re: Help with exporting from C4D [message #18925 is a reply to message #18922 ] Mon, 11 October 2010 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It's been a while since I uploaded in color, but a few things:

- vrml is always defined in meters. (judging from your info it is indeed 100 times to large? 1unit is 1cm --> upload 1 unit is 1 meter -> 100cm ?

- there used to be a "tick" box to indicate a file has color info., currently it is automatically detected I guess.

- files should be in one plain zip file with all files in the root directory of the file. (might need to fix references in the vrml files, it's an editable text file)

Please correct me if my info is wrong or outdated Wink

Cheers,

Virtox

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2010 15:12 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Help with exporting from C4D [message #18927 is a reply to message #18925 ] Mon, 11 October 2010 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andetom  is currently offline andetom
Go to all my models
Thanks virtox! I also found the Cinema 4D tutorial which answered a couple other questions I had. Hopefully, I'll be able to order something soon.
Re: Help with exporting from C4D [message #40149 is a reply to message #18927 ] Mon, 12 December 2011 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spacetime  is currently offline Spacetime
Go to my shop
I would love to know where that tutorial is, I'm having many problems with this.

I can't pin down exactly what I'm doing wrong

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacetime
Re: Help with exporting from C4D [message #40176 is a reply to message #18922 ] Tue, 13 December 2011 10:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SB3D  is currently offline SB3D
Go to my shop
Top of this page > Create > Tutorials >Modeling in Cinema 4d for Shapeways http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/modeling_in_cinema_4d_for _shapeways Smile

Although I am not sure that this is the only good way, uploading as a .stl has worked for me before. But I haven't printed it yet. Also scaling can be different if u don't use millimeters.

If I follow the tutorial I first make an object, a Sweetnurbs for instance, then explode it (make it editable) and then Connect everything again.

Problem is that the "Connect" makes dramatic changes in the mesh. I uploaded a picture here http://i.imgur.com/vihvn.jpg

Anyone knows how to fix this?

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2011 10:57 UTC]

Ces't ne pas possible!

Previous Topic:Help with Shapeways Youtube Tutorial and Blender
Next Topic:After uploading a file from thingoverse or sketchup, I can't manipulate the individual parts.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.