Crystal and Snake rings arrived

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Eeppium, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Finally got around shooting some photos from these two. :D

The Crystal ring came out really great.
    I´m facinated by all kinds of crystal formations, they have that strange symmetrical form wich is rare in nature.

You can see that i hollowed four of the larger crystals, the holes give it a nice look.

Size 12 version. https://www.shapeways.com/model/144453/crystal_ring_size_12.h tml?gid=sg21586

Size 7 version. https://www.shapeways.com/model/156503/crystal_ring_size_7.ht ml?gid=sg21586

CrystalRing001.JPG

Here are few quartz crystals with the ring.

CrystalRing002.JPG

The Snake ring looks great also. I ordered it gold plated since it fits the theme quite nicely, it gives the snake bit more organic look.
    The snake itself isn´t of any particular species, sorta crossbreed of cobra and a corn snake.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/145607/snake_ring_size_12.htm l?gid=ug21586

SnakeRing002.JPG

SnakeRing003.JPG

I´ll post the 360 animations of these two when I got time (and patience :laughing: )

(edit: added link to the smaller version)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    I like the snake ring, but I think you have a real winner there with your crystal ring. Great form!

-Whystler

3. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    I love both of those! Good job! Great product photos too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. Love them both to bits - I can actually see myself getting the crystal ring when I have the disposable! :D

I certainly wouldn't want to mess with anyone wearing one of those... ;)

Andy

5. 45235_deleted
    45235_deleted Member
    Great looking rings, what software did you use to make em? When looking at the crystal ring I can't help but think "Tiberium" :) perhaps something for green/blue dyed wsf!

6. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    --Whystler
    Thanks for your compliments. It´s also my favorite. :)

--roofoo
    Im glad you like em. It´s hard to take good pictures without proper lighting, had to wait for a clear day to make use of the daylight.

--Noodles
    I use Blender for my modeling. I used the sculpt tool to give the base of the crystal ring more "stony" look.
    I wanted to order it from different materials but ran out of money :laughing: i´ve thought of heat dyeing the cystals but that might be abit tricky.

--Drawn-Steel Hero
    Thanks. the crystal ring does look bit brutal on my finger, but that just adds more personality to it. ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. I can't help thinking the crystals would look really nice painted with a transparent colour. Maybe green, using thinned washes to gradually tint it. :)

Andy

8. HaVoC373
    HaVoC373 Member
    i love the crystal ring, very nice design. the snake is cool but not as nice as the crystal one.

9. 47779_deleted
    47779_deleted Member
    The cobra-ring ist brilliant. And i like your skull ring.

10. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Lol, damn, I didn't even think about Tiberium, I was thinking a larger version of the crystal ring would look like something right out of World of Warcraft.

11. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Hmm.. painting the crystals sounds interesting, that would give nice translucent effects to them.

Speaking of wow and C&C.. I wonder if It`s possible to fit a very small led with a battery, inside the ring and printing it from transparent detail, then painting all exept the crystals with some non-transparent paint :p gotta give that some thought..

12. Sounds like a good idea. Bear in mind if you do that, that it's generally best to start with a black base coat, as it'll help block the light from the LED better.

Andy

13. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I actually think it would look nice to print the crystal ring in transparent detail then opaquely paint the ring and some of the rocks/not-quite-crystals, leaving the crystals themselves transparent...

Nice designs (and in Blender, too - even more impressive. Sorry, hate the programme)

Glenn