Question on printing in porcelain

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by TimWaugh, Nov 18, 2015.

1. TimWaugh
    TimWaugh Member
    I am looking design a teapot as a gift and when I read the notes and limits on the porcelain it said about internal overhangs being a problem. Now for the teapot there would be such overhangs at the top when the lid would sit and possibly with the spout depending on how it is shaped, does the limitation of the internal overhangs make this an unprintable object? Or does the size of the opening at the top of the pot and the shape of the spout make the difference?

Tim W.

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey Tim,

Without seeing the model its hard to know for sure but we've certainly printed teapots before. I'd go ahead and order to see what the manual checks say.

3. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    I guess the problem is it hasn't been designed yet and you don't want to go through all the trouble just to hear it can't be printed?

But judging by this horrid thing and the little vase they have all over the materials page and the pipe someone made recently, a teapot shouldn't be a problem. Though the items are made with molds, they are single use molds which do not have to come out whole. Just guessing, maybe they make the molds out of gypsum and dunk them in acid to dissolve them?

[​IMG]

4. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    The photo above:

H.R. Giger would like it...

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The molds are WSF rather than the plaster used in "conventional" slipcasting, that much was disclosed. It could be that they just burn off trapped parts of the mold in the kiln (though this would probably require a specially designed firing regime)

6. TimWaugh
    TimWaugh Member
    Thank you all for clearing some of this up for me.

The teapot was not designed yet and after looking at some of things that you have all said I will go and start the design and see what happens.

Thank you all.

Tim