Which is better Pinterest or Instagram?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by 882566_deleted, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Hello Shapeways community,

I have set my shop and created a Facebook fanpage to promote it. Since the fan adquisicion in Facebook is kind slow, I set up a Pinterest account to help.

But, that made me think if Instagram is better than Pinterest for making viral content.
    I would love to hear your opinions guys, also if you can leave a like on FB or Pinterest it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    hey there,

A couple things on this... both Pinterest and Instagram are incredibly useful tools for promoting your shop. If you have the bandwith, I would consider keeping up with both.

The great things about pinterest is that once you've created a board, it can hang out there for a while and still get traction and be shared across the platform. On the other hand, Instagram is something you have to keep up with nearly daily to create a following.

Pinterest is a great place to add more information about your product, and link directly to it. Beautiful photos go a long way, but you can also add in the break-down of how you made that product, which tends to get traction on Pinterest.

On Instagram, the key is beautifully, well thought-out and easy to digest visuals. Not too much information, as people are typically scrolling through pretty quickly. A quirky caption + information on how to find more of your products should do the trick to get you traction on Insta. You may also want to consider following those who have similar interests and engaging with their content -- this will get you noticed and followers.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

3. wgseligman
    wgseligman Well-Known Member
    I'm going to be the voice of negativity and suggest that neither is worth the effort. I spent a sustained effort to advertise via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I might get 1-2 sales per year from all of that. In the meantime, my sales via Etsy were 20 times greater.

The social media sites may garner a lot of "Likes", but if you want sales there are better venues to spend your marketing dollars.

Ontogenie likes this.
  4. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Agree 100%