Stamps for leatheworking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 889591_deleted, Aug 18, 2015.

1. I was wondering if 3d printing would work by making stamps for leatherworking. The sizes would be from 1/2" x 1/2" up to around 4"x6". The thickness would be about 1/2" The leather is dampened , so it wouldnt take much pressure needed to apply the design. Would the plastic withstand the tapping of a hammer with a poly head. No metal hammers would be used.

Thanks

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The 0.5" x 0.5" would work I feel but I don't think the 4" x 6" would work. I think beyond 1" x 1" you would start to have a problem. Do they make 4" x 6" stamps for leather that are used with a hammer? Seems to me a lot more force would be needed with a 4" x 6" stamp. Seems like you would need something like a hydraulic press for that. Then again you did say that the leather is wet so maybe my thinking is wrong here.

Shapeways' White Strong and Flexible is fairly tough in thick sections (1/2 inch in thickness) so I don't think you would have a problem for the smaller stamps. I think the 4" x 6" stamps would work too now that I've had time to think about it.

3. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    I'm not too familiar with leather working but from what I understand if you are using a pattern made of plaster of paris than WSF should be a good alternative

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The ones I saw years ago were metal. You could print in steel. I imagine WSF might work, I'd print one and try it out!