Let user set prices in US dollars and leave it at that

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by lensman, Jul 9, 2015.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Being in Canada I have the option when editing my models of using Cdn or US dollars, or viewing both. Nothing wrong with that, as such, I just would like to be able to set a store global currency and leave it at that (for my editing purposes), instead of having to switch to US dollars every time I edit a model.

2. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    I've had a couple of customers express frustration because "I" am changing prices... even though it's really just a reflection of exchange rates and the US price is unchanged. They're OK with it after I explain, but I'd rather not have to convince them I'm not playing with prices...

I'm also in Canada, and I'd be happier if my customers saw a (constant) price rather than a variable price reflecting volatile exchange rates.

I'd love to be able to lock my shop into US dollar pricing, or have both displayed so they can see what is going on.

Steve Hunter

3. lensman
    Steve, is that because you use Cdn $ when setting the price and letting the US $ fall where it may due to exchange rates? Personally, I set my prices for shop viewers to see in US$ and don't use Cdn$ whatsoever. My complaint is similar except that it only affects me not a buyer. I just want to be able to "set it and forget it" and use US$ only when editing prices.However, I appreciate the fact that Shapeways is giving me an option so I really shouldn't complain...

4. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    I always set my pricing in US dollars... is there a way to set the store so all our customers see US dollars rather than local currency? I was snooping around looking for a setting, but may have missed it.

Steve

5. lensman
    Ah, I think I see your problem. Most of your customers are in Canada? So they see the exchanged version after you set the prices in US dollars... so they see the prices "always changing", right?.... Whereas most of my customers are in the US so they see the price I set. And to answer your question, no, I don't think there is a way for Cdn customers to see US prices - that I'm aware of anyway. If someone knows different please chime in.

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    The drop down at the bottom let's you select some currencies (country one affects shipping and taxes, and also material status page). Bottom. More bottom. Keep scrolling... that bottom.

But in the end (or was it bottom?), only one of two currencies is allowed for customers (with one floating respect the other), so the selection is purely cosmetic (destination determines effective currency, no real choice, and fees always paid in dollars... reinvestment "paradise").

7. lensman
    Too funny stannum. I guess it pays to scroll forever sometimes! Thanks.

Edit: Who thought it would be a good idea to put this option as the last option for a user?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015