Cut down the costs of my models?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fanglights, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Fanglights
    Fanglights Member
    I currently create tealight holders and quite frankly, £7.50 for each unit is quite expensive.

Are there any ways I could reduce the costs? I am fairly new to 3d modelling and brand new to 3d printing.

Here are my models so far and my shop:
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Fanglights

If anyone has any ideas how I could save some money on these models, i'd be very greatful!

2. Pretty cool. Reduce base height and instead of extruding letters - engrave the letters.

3. Fanglights
    Fanglights Member
    thanks for the reply.
    I will give it a go and see :)
    I didnt think that would make much difference to be honest.

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I think you're kind of stuck with the price. I don't see much opportunity for cost reduction. Removing material and minimizing machine space are the primary ways to cut cost. Being able to stick a 40 mm diameter sphere as far as possible into the candle cavity might lower machine space and reduce overall cost. The smallest design is not always the cheapest so you might need to try some variations of just the bottom cup part.

Another trick is to make the part foldable/collapsible so it's as flat as possible to minimize machine space during manufacture. But for something that's cup-like and needs to contain liquid or melted wax that may not be a good idea unless you are using battery powered lights.

5. CybranKNight
    CybranKNight Well-Known Member
    You could try making the Arm and the Symbol it holds into multiple parts that are assembled by the customer, it might take up a touch more material to making the proper connections for the arms but it might reduce the amount of Machine space you Item takes up.

You could attach them to the bottom of the candle pot(as it will be hidden anyways so any imperfections won't be seen) sort of like you'd expect from a model kit you know?

6. Fanglights
    Fanglights Member
    i've lowered the base height which has shaved a massive £2 from each model.

each model now costs around £6 to make.

I don't really want the customer to have to do anything, i want it to be an out o the box product.