My next indigenous Project

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by rkapuaala, May 28, 2015.

1. rkapuaala
    rkapuaala Well-Known Member
    Gironimo.jpg
    I actually began this sculpt a few years ago. Except for the musket, this is as far as I got. I completed the musket last year, but still was too busy working on other projects to pay this much attention. Someone contacted me through PM asking about Wild West type figures and I couldn't get the idea out of my mind so today I started to revisit this project. I will post more images as I finish them.

2. rkapuaala
    gironimo_progress-day2.jpg
    I spent last night searching the internet for some better reference images. Found little, but I did find a higher resolution image of one that I already had that gave me a better look at his weapon. I originally thought he was holding a Springfield 1837 Musket, but it turns out he was holding what looks like an 1863 breach loading rifle.
    I've stopped work on the clothing and figure and I am taking the musket back into Hexagon to convert it to a breach loading rifle. I've already stripped the hammer, strike plate, powder pan, springs and nutts in this image. Luckily the stock and trigger plate, trigger and guard are a very close match for the 1863 Breach loader. I will need to strip the ram rod and make a new barrel with a breach and a new hammer for a percussion cap. I'm looking at a days worth of work on these parts before I can get back to drapping and completing the anatomy.

3. rkapuaala
    GironimoAmmoBelt.jpg
    I finished the mods to the rifle yesterday and had some time to start the ammo belt.

4. rkapuaala
    gironimowithheadband.jpg
    After adding the head band I ran out of polygons for a print so I decimated and remeshed the figure till I had enough polygons to add a hunting knife. Luckily I didn't loose too much detail. I can't wait till they increase the poly count on Shapeways. I hate making sacrifices.

5. rkapuaala
    gironimolowresfinal1.jpg
    gironimolowresfinal2.jpg
    gironimolowresfinal3.jpg
    gironimolowresfinal4.jpg
    This is really low res, hopefully I have kept enough detail to make it interesting. I will do this in a higher resolution larger scale kit, printing each part out separately so I can add more detail to the assembled piece. This should be okay for smaller figures like 1:32 up to 1:20.32 scales.
    I've already made a 1:32 scale figure available.

6. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Coming together pretty nice! It seems to me that he is leaning a tiny bit too much outside. You can see from the front view. Maybe I'm wrong. Just take a look.

Can't wait to see your progress coming.

7. rkapuaala
    [​IMG]
    This is my first 1:32 scale FXD print. I've given it a wash of gray paint to help me identify areas that need to be smoothed and cleaned up a little.

8. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    WOAH! It looks amazing printed!!! can you take a photo of it next to a coin for scale (im not so well versed on my scaling around here)
    also, the grey looks great. Really brings out the details!

9. rkapuaala
    Thanks again Katkinhead. When I'm finished painting him I'll be sure to add a coin to the background. For a size reference till then just compare to the yellow pencil in the background.

10. Sculptory
    Sculptory Member
    Really nice! You caught the character very well.

I'm interested in the smoothing cleaning process. How do you do it? What do you need to do it? Could you write a few words.

Great job! ...again :)