This print shouldn't have worked but it did!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by resetstyles, Mar 19, 2015.

1. resetstyles
    resetstyles Member
    *insert maniacal laughter*

Today I have a print of a bracelet that shouldn't have worked but it did. It's so crazy and thin.

IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG

I got my package an hour ago and this bracelet was one of the items. I originally tried to make it so it would print on an FDM printer. (I work at a store that sells FDM printers and I design content for their site as well.) It wouldn't print regardless of what supports I put on--Cura's, Simplify 3D, MeshMixer-- or what machine I printed it on--Ultimaker2, Dremel, Printrbot-- and I learned that it was because the whole thing was too thin. (On the Dremel it just printed the base supports and then just gave up.) There's no way this could withstand loss wax casting.

So as a semi joke I uploaded it to Shapeways to see if any material could print it because of how thin it is, thinking everything would reject. Only the frosted detail/ultra detail plastic accepted the design. I bought it immediately. I did it as a print it anyway. It came. It's even a little flexible.

Since it was an hour ago I don't have better photos. I'll take better ones at work tomorrow or Monday.

Is this something actually worth trying to sell?

2. CybranKNight
    CybranKNight Well-Known Member
    Nice! It's amazing the kinds of thing you can print once you step up from the standard FDM style printers! Not having to worry about supports has been one of the biggest upsides to me switching from messing around with a FDM printer myself!