Set of plastic rings for measuring your ring size

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Daphne, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    There are a lot of people who don't know their ring size. Since it's hard to measure with a measuring tape and critical to know when ordering a ring, I designed this set. No more guess work or going to a physical jewelry shop. Just order this set before ordering a custom ring online :)

The rings are strong enough to withstand some forceful testing (It fits! Ow, wait, no, this really hard to remove.. You know how rings fitting goes..)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Design is inspired by a customer who order a ring first in brass, to discover that he had the size completely wrong. This set is cheaper,faster and easier.

2. Brick
    Brick Member
    All you need is a tape measure, then you can measure the diameter of your finger and take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_size

Since you don't have to wrap the tape around your ringer, as you are just measuring the width, it is no problem.

Don't hate me.

3. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    A tape measurement is not really precise, sinds your finger is not perfectly round. Besides, people often forget to measure their knuckle, which is even more important than where the ring is located.

andrewthommo likes this.
  4. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    A good idea (and certainly more reliable than a tape measure).

However, are you sure that there is a 1:1 correspondance between:

1. the printed ring guides in wsf and actual ring sizes?
    2. printed rings in materials other than wsf?

The cast metals shrink, for example.

5. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I measured all rings, for the largest ring the deviation was 0.2 mm. I only offer the rings in WSF. The accuracy of other materials I don't know, but all the metal rings I ordered in my own ring size (18 mm) fitted the same as the 18 mm WSF ring.

6. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
    Brilliant idea!

For the uneducated - do the sizes refer to the inside diameter of the rings? And is this based on your 3D file or what actually gets printed?

I could see this becoming a standard across Shapeways, very useful for others who want to design and sell rings as well to be able to refer their customers to get a fitting kit first.

7. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Thanks! They are indeed based on the inside diameter of the ring. The measures are set in the file, and I controlled this afterwards.

8. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Since knuckles aren't round do rings actually need to be perfectly round? It seems to me that rings could be designed as slightly oval such that they slip over the knuckle at a 90 degree angle and then are rotated back such that the top of the ring faces up and outwards. Think of it as a positional ring lock. Since I don't wear rings I'm not sure if this is a valid idea or if it could be downright dangerous. But for people who have problems with rings slipping off wouldn't something like this have less of a chance of falling off? Or is it even a problem? One bad thing is how horribly complicating it could be for selling on Shapeways since you might need 3 or 4 times as many ring variants available and you need a better sizing selector in the shops. But it is 3D and isn't customization one of the reasons to do 3D printing?

9. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    No rings don't have to be perfectly round, and I have some very thin silver rings that deformed after a while to the shape of my finger. But rings falling of isn't much of a problem if you have the right ringsize. The knuckle is a natural way of rings preventing to fall off. Perfectly round rings is an easy way of standardizing, with simple tools to measure instead of having to 3D scan your finger.

10. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Ring size`s are standardized on round version. But designers can chose to go with a different way on making some "out of the hat" designs.

All ring size have very high variation and in general only 3 are used and others are done on demand. When you check any retail shop , there are 3 sizes for rings , bracelets.

11. RAATZO
    RAATZO Member
    Do yousell a downloadable version of your ring size templates? I think a lot of newbie designers would find them useful.
    Thanks, Susan