Puzzle Heart!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by rawkstar320, Apr 26, 2010.

1. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    I finally got my new and revised Puzzle Heart in the mail the other day! All it needed was some basic post processing (which I changed and updated another revised model) and it was all good!

IMG_0669small.jpg

From the Jake Drews Jewelery Collection comes a one of a kind locket, with a secret! At first, the locket appears to be a basic capsule, but then transforms into a heart: unlocking a secret door that opens to reveal two secret compartments. These compartments can be used to hold a picture, a Custom Insert (sold in the EP Shop) or a small trinket that you might want to keep safe. This is the perfect gift for someone close because it signifies how love is a puzzle that transforms from something small, into something significant and great! Please don't forget to pick up some a custom inserts for your one of a kind Puzzle Heart. They can be found here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/105562/puzzle_heart_insert.ht ml

IMG_0660small.jpg

HeartLocketSWsmall.jpg

IMG_0671SWsmall.jpg

IMG_0637small.jpg

So be sure to check it out HERE! https://www.shapeways.com/model/94590/puzzle_heart.html

And the inserts here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/105562/puzzle_heart_insert.ht ml

ORDER YOURS TODAY!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Man, who ever told you to make custom color sandstone inserts was a genius :p. This looks great buddy. I wonder how it would look in Terracotta?

3. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    haha,

Well, not to steal your thunder, although it was a great idea...that was my plan all along. I just didnt know how to do it. ;)

but yes, it was a good idea. I just gotta sell some now.

What i cant figure out is how to have 2 inserts per model. so you upload 2 images and the model is 2 inserts..instead of just 1 per model.

I also wish i could print it in metal. But if i make everything with the 3mm rule, its going to be ridiculously expensive...which sucks...

I will order it in WSF next though, I have a feeling it might actually work better than the Detail material.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    I know it was your original intent :rolleyes:
    Yea, I haven't figured out how to do multiple item prints with color yet. Maybe we can get the Gyroids VRML so we can check out the code to see how we can make blender do the same (I think he said he used Max?) Was it Virtox? Figured out all but the Max part. It was Virtox.

5. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    For sure. my summer project is to learn blender.

6. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Dude ! That turned out awesome !

@Mike : Haha, you just really want the Gyroid huh :cool:
    I'll see what I can do tomorrow. :p
    As to the software I use, it's all over the place. It used to be Max, but now I just write a lot of stuff myself and use meshlab for fixing and checking.

As to the multiple item color models, I don't think the gyroid is of much help, as it is all texture coordinated..

But it's not that magical ? I still use only one image for the texture.

For those inserts I would put two inserts side by side collapse them to one model and use one big rectangular uvw/texture map across them both.

For the gyroids I did essentially the same, just with A LOT of warping.

Oh man, I hate writing tutorials, but I don't have a choice, do I :p
    I'll push it up my todo list. But I will try to figure this out in blender (max tut would be pointless for you I guess?), so it's gonna take me some/a lot of time.

Still wanting to learn better blender, but the 25alpha with desired features is not very stable on x64 yet. (x32 went to his knees and started begging for memor(c)y during my first projects)

7. Youknowwho4eva
    The only problem is I don't see how to map the uv map to more than one item. I can unstitch one item at a time, and create a map for each, but I can't make a map for more than one item.

Edit: Well I may have found a work around, at least for my method. Is there a way to join solids in blender that aren't touching? Because I did that in my software, exported to blender and it sees them all as one, and I'm able to unstitch into one map.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  8. 4m3D
    4m3D Member
    Thats a fantastic product! Love the puzzle aspect. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

--------------------------------------------
    Todd Bailey
    Owner and Creative Designer
    4m3D Creative Design
    www.4m3d.com
    Skype Me!! - todd.4m3d
    twitter - www.twitter.com/4m3D or @4m3D
    Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fredericton-NB/4m3D/1706911563 28?ref=nf

9. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Thanks Todd.
    I really want to get it made in stainless, but the cost is just a little high for me. I suppose I may anyways...someday.

As for what I am working on next: all kinds of stuff. Keep an eye on my shop and follow me on Twitter @JakeMDrews.

I am really working toward building my shapeways business into something that helps me out a little in college.

Oh, and don't forget to rate it if you like it!!! And buy it if you really like it!!