Exploding Puzzle Ball

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by gibell, Apr 22, 2010.

1. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    This puzzle contains 10 identical pieces. The puzzle is to put them together into a ball. This is not too difficult except for the last piece. The interesting part is then getting it apart. It will only come apart when all 10 pieces move at the same time. This is almost impossible to arrange, except using centrifugal force, i.e. SPIN IT! If done with sufficent speed, it blasts apart into a pile of pieces (UTube video).

This puzzle was designed by Stephen Chin (of Sydney, Australia). He is a woodworking expert and a wizard with the lathe. The first photo shows one of his creations. Making this puzzle out of wood is very time consuming. After gluing each of the 10 pieces together from 4 tetrahedrons, he fits it together into an icosahedron. Then he puts it on his lathe and turns it into a sphere. Since this puzzle explodes when you spin it, you can imagine this is hazardous. He actually has to glue all the pieces together (temporarily) for this step. Then he takes it back apart and removes all the glue. These puzzles are works of art and a lot of fun, he sells them for $250-$300, and that is a bargain.

Stephen asked me if it was possible to print this puzzle on Shapeways. After 3 months and 6 prototypes, it is finally a reality. This puzzle is difficult to make, because it all depends on some very carefully chosen angles. If everything is not perfect, the puzzle won't go together, or it won't come apart when spun. The puzzle exploding depends on the friction between the pieces, and this is quite high for WSF. The wood puzzles tend to work very well because the pieces are slick and slide against each other easily. However, the wood version is susceptible to changes in humidity. The pieces are also not all the same, and must be reassembled in a particular order to make the perfect sphere.

At last, I am happy with the design and have put the puzzle up for sale in my shop. It is available in a 4cm diameter size, and 5cm diameter (my favorite). Eventually I will also add a 6cm version.

The friction between the pieces tends to be a bit too large out of the printer. Therefore, this puzzle requires a tiny bit of sanding on all interior faces. I recommend 320 grit sandpaper, and the goal is not so much to remove material as it is to make the pieces smoother. Because of this I offer it ONLY in white, strong and flexible. All other materials are too brittle for this puzzle. The one in the photos made out of alumide is actually broken.

IMG_4230_small.jpg
    The wood version of the puzzle, by Stephen Chin.

IMG_4223_small.jpg
    The ten puzzle pieces.

IMG_4220_small.jpg
    The assembled puzzle (5cm size)

IMG_4235_small.jpg
    Lots of exploding ball puzzles! Many of these are prototypes and don't work or are broken.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Here are some pics of another 5cm ball with the 10 pieces dyed 5 colors. An extra challenge is then to assemble it so that no like colors are touching. Presumably it is also possible to do this with 4 colors.
    IMG_4306_cropped.jpg
    IMG_4309_cropped.jpg
    IMG_4310_cropped.jpg

3. tones3d
    tones3d Member
    Wow!!

I will buy one of these as soon as funds permit.

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    That's an amazingly clever design! I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

*puts on his wishlist*

Bart

5. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    This puzzle recently won an award in a puzzle design competition! It wasn't the 3D printed version that won, but rather the gorgeous wood version made by Stephen Chin that he turned into an apple on his lathe. These are real works of art and take hours of labor to produce a single copy.

Apple.jpg

This week I also changed the design of the plastic versions so that the pieces are heavier and no more sanding should be required. The price of the 5cm version has also been reduced by $10 because I got it over the 10% density cutoff.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  6. 27749_deleted
    27749_deleted Member
    Woo Hoo, I'm FAMOUS! Thanks Georgie
    I now await the 6cm Red Shapeways version of the Apple with the baby Icosa inside
    Now, THAT would be cool