How can I sell big models?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Shapeways,

You have a 500.000 triangle upload limit probably for a good reason. Electronic storage space costs money. So I understand why you would stimulate your shop owners to make efficient STL renderings.

Having that said ...
    How can I go beyond that annoying 500.000 triangle limit?

I have several viable puzzle designs that simply don't fit under 500.000 triangles, for example Big Bolder and Void 6x6x6.

Currently, I have only two options.
    1) Suggest to the customer to buy from me directly (as Shapeways can handle 500.000+ triangles)
    2) Split the puzzle over multiple models and give the customers some complex instructions how many of which model to buy to obtain the parts for a single puzzle.
    Both options are cumbersome to the customer.

Can you provide a better solution, please?

Thank you!

Oskar

2. 17207_deleted
    17207_deleted Member
    Dear Oskar,

Yes, we understand your challenge here. I am sure a solution for this is on our to do.

I am very interested how many Shapies out there share this experience.

Anyone here to elaborate?
    Kindly
    Marleen

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    There are a few times when I have to take fillets off because they eat up the polygon limit. For Oskar, a lot of his models require round to work, but there probably are some fillets that could be removed that are just ascetics. Perhaps a chamfer instead? Most the stuff I design is small, as I don't have the money to test hundred dollar prints, and don't really want to sell high dollar items. But I can also get the most out of my 500000 limit, where larger items eat up that limit fast. I'd just say to try to keep as many flay faces as you can. one square takes 2 polygons, a circle can take hundreds if you set your resolution too high.