Alternative Development Environments?

Discussion in 'ShapeJS' started by Excrubulent, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Excrubulent
    Excrubulent Member
    I really like the possibilities of ShapeJS, it's pretty much exactly what I want. However, the web-based development environment is very limiting. For a start, it has a tiny text window, no code completion, and has no file saving capability. Yes, I could copy-paste and do all my work that way, but it seems like a lot of extra effort, and very error prone. I also want the ability to work with version control systems.

What I'm asking is, is there any way to work on the scripts in an external development environment, like say Eclipse, then run them in the web-based engine when I'm ready to compile? Maybe without copy-pasting?

2. bump because i also would like the shapeJS library to be open sourced. This could really take off, please don't squander the possibilities by restricting the development through a web-based coding environment...
    EDIT: nevermind, i found the github but it hasn't been changed in two years... ded gaem? T_T

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    This is github repo and its been very active recently:

https://github.com/orgs/AbFab3D/dashboard

We'll be releasing a standalone version of ShapeJS Studio soon(~1 month). If you want to play in the source the area to be is in apps/gpu. That said its under heavy development right now so likely not very stable.

4. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    Now that's something I'm looking forward to! In fact, let me reply to this thread so hopefully I will get a notification when there is an update... done!

5. Excrubulent
    Excrubulent Member
    It's weird, I only discovered that there was a github repo on the very day that you posted this.

That is really good news. I've been slaving away in Notepad++, which does the job but I'd love to have code completion for the API itself. That would speed up my work so much, not having to go back to the docs every time I forget how to use a constructor. It's also encouraging to know that ShapeJS is still being worked on.

6. Excrubulent
    Excrubulent Member
    I've tried going to that repo but I just get sent to the github homepage. Is it private or something?

7. Excrubulent
    Excrubulent Member
    Hey guys, just checking on the status of ShapeJS Studio. It's been a month since it was mentioned, and I was wondering how long we have to wait. As a fellow dev, I understand that there are always complications, I'm just looking for an update.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. AlanHudson
    We've decided to release a subset of the code first for shopowners before finishing the Studio code. I can't go into many details now but we are still planning on making ShapeJS Studio available but it will be later in the summer then I'd hoped. Sorry for the delay but I think you'll be happy with the results when we delivery it.

9. Excrubulent
    Excrubulent Member
    Okay, thanks for the info. I'm assuming when you say "later in the summer" you mean June, July & August? I'm in the southern hemisphere, so that kind of language can get confusing.

10. AlanHudson
    Yes july or august time frame.

11. twoshay
    twoshay Well-Known Member
    Same here. Anyone know how we might gain access to this org? I'm an application developer myself, but just getting into 3d modeling and very interested in where the AbFab3d/ShapeJS environment is headed.

12. AlanHudson
    Best I can right now is stay tuned there will be announcements soon about how to get involved. We're actively developing the system and will be releasing a new version.

13. twoshay
    Thanks! Looking forward to it.

14. niquegeek
    niquegeek Active Member
    Any news on when Shape JS Studio will be released, or has it and it was called something else? I'm learning Java just so I can work with ShapeJS!
    Thanks!

15. AlanHudson
    I wish I had a solid date for you. We are working on it but its not got an official release date yet. We don't have enough time for people to get creators ready for the holiday so my guess is we won't ship this till after Dec 1st. Sorry to be a tease, but we are making forward progress on it.

Just to be clear the system will be Javascript based so you'd be better off learning that then Java. The underlying libraries are Java based but you write code in Javascript.

16. twoshay
    Does the timeline for this line up with the next pilot for ShapeJS co-creators? I'm very much of the opinion that customer-customization by way of creators like CustomMaker and the ShapeJS co-creator are what's going to make this industry push forward from a novelty to a destination for certain products.

(plus... if anyone with control over flipping on the ShapeJS Co-Creators Pilot flag can hear me... I'd still love to get onto that pilot! The originally-released functionality there has everything I'd need for a couple of projects. And... I'm a developer myself, completely comfortable with the idea that working with it now might be like changing tires on a moving car :) )