Product => update => Firsttotry

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by woody64, Dec 5, 2014.

1. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    I still find it very annoying that a "Product" falls back to "First To Try"after a mesh update.

There was the proposal to introduce "Printed in a previous version", which would at least save somehow recent results.

But I'm still in the opinion that when uploading a new mesh which was a product before and the checks are ok, why not stay in "product".

I do understand that there needs to be a certainty for the end user and also a certainty for SW to deliver proven products but there's to much evolving.

Recently I got the message that one of my products could not stay in this status since it breaks during polishing. The design rules also have changed with this respect.That would cause me to update also other models. Most of them have product status with 100% success. If I change them I will loose all the product status ...

Woody64

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I agree about the annoyance, but (in my view) there is no practical way at this time to guarantee that your new model IS printable.

There is too much of a risk that you have uploaded an entirely different geometry, like switching from a cube to a sphere. You could just as easily have made things WORSE rather than better for the chances of print success.

Building an algorithm to try to compare before/after geometries is a noble effort, but even a change such as making an item 1% wider makes the computation very, very difficult.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Given "Product =>some misprints =>First to Try", it could be argued that this label is pretty much useless anyway, except as a means to discourage new customers.

4. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    The 'First to try' is again a misleading concept of SW.
    It means 'Do not blame SW if prining goes wrong'.

One of our models had become a print rate under 80% which makes it 'First to try' again.

This is what SW writes to us:
    "We wanted to let you know that your product Holzbrunnen + Blumentröge (N 1:160) is now a First To Try product in some materials.

Why did this happen?
    After the most recent purchase of your product "Holzbrunnen + Blumentröge (N 1:160)", we calculated a print success rate that is now less than 80% for the following materials:

White Strong & Flexible
    What does this mean?
    This means that we're not confident we can consistently make your product successfully on time and at quality.

We've updated the Holzbrunnen + Blumentröge (N 1:160) product page so that these materials are now listed as "First To Try" products. This is to help your customers know what they can expect. "

Excuse me? Is this a help to the customer? If you write this kind of nonsense you clearly lost the connection to the rest of the world.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I think this might be a short-term problem. It is possible that a small number of items were erroneously re-tagged as FTT by mistake yesterday. I had 3 models pop up as FTT yesterday (Monday Dec 8) and there was no apparent reason why they failed after printing.. one of them was even fully contained inside a sinterbox.. no way that would break even if they dropped it on the floor.

I would suggest emailing service@shapeways.com with the affected model#s (from yesterday) so that they can be researched.

6. PrettySmallThings
    PrettySmallThings Active Member
    I have had record numbers of designs reverting to FFT over the past couple weeks. I assume a lot of this will settle down after the holiday rush.

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Hard to clean, rejected!

8. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Just a FYI.

FUD only
    On Monday (and only on Monday) there was an issue with models being planned at one of the production factories but re-assigned to another production factory for printing (done because of holidays).

This caused models to be seen a reprint because of the reassignment.
    We made sure this wouldn't happen again and are currently working on changing the status back to the 100% it was before :)

Edit: appears that there is still an issue!
    Our development team is investigating.

Please note that the status will be reverted back to 100% once fixed.

Mitch

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014