How detailed can a design be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 678518_deleted, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Hello,

I am totally new to 3D printing and modeling. I hope this question has not been asked/answered 283743 times already...if so, I apologize.

I am looking to create a wax form to be used as a mold for casting...the final product will be cast aluminum.

The basic shape will be essentially a "bell" that is about 3" tall and 2 1/2" across at the base. The walls seem to be about 3mm thick.

How detailed can a design be?

The reason I ask is there are a few spots where there are threaded holes. (one big hole with 1/2" NPT thread, a couple smaller ones that would take an 8-24 machine screw)

Can 3D printers create functional threads? Running a tap through to "clean up" the threads will not be the end of the world...but I dont want to have to drill and cut new threads if I dont have to.

I can provide a picture of what I am working with if that will help with the understanding.

Thanks in advance and look forward to any info people can provide

2. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
  3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Shapeways Castible Wax material has the highest resolution of all Shapeways' materials with 16 micron layers. You will definitely be able to have good enough threads forms for the 1/2" NPT thread. However, I think the 8-24 threads are going to be questionable; you will probably end up having to chase those threads threads with a tap. I don't think anyone makes thread chasers that small, but you're only going to end up with a very slight indication of a thread I think so thread chasing with an actual thread chaser is probably not going to work too well if you can find one in that size.

Keep in mind that a factor is going to be how well you can do the casting of the aluminum.

Is this product able to be sold for a very high price? If so, it can be made by DMLS in aluminum and all the threads will come out usable. The price will be in the hundreds of dollars though in that size and Shapeways, strangely, doesn't offer the service.