Sketchup export won't hollow out some parts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Themikepeng, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Themikepeng
    Themikepeng Well-Known Member
    when i export the model some pieces won't hollow out or indent! here's my latest example of this issue, this model is the biggest project i have ever done and this issue is the only thing prevnting completion
    sketchup wont hollow out.png
    this is in sketchup 2014 (yes it's sketchup now don't laugh at me)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. That looks like an image applied to the surface of the model, and not actual geometry. Is that the case? You can check by going to View > Face Style > Monochrome to see if there is a hole in the geometry.

If there is a hole, then the model is likely not manifold or 'Solid'. You can check for issues using the Solid Inspector plugin.

Hope that helps!

3. Themikepeng
    Thanks,
    I know it is geometry for sure because i clearly remember extruding those faces. I colored them the same color, and i can see that they are definitely geometry
    sketchup wont hollow 2.png
    the picture on the left is inside the model
    and yes they are manifold i checked all around it. when I Upload it it just seems to be completely ignored.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    If the detail is too small it will not hollow. It is better to hollow out the main model then add the detail.

Don't forget too join the detail to the model making the whole model a solid.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Perhaps they do not intersect the body of the railcar and are too small to small to survive shapeways' automatic checker on their own, or they intersect in weird, inconsistent ways. Try checking your exported file with netfabb studio basic (freeware from netfabb.com) - this should find any errors like shapeways' netfabb-derived software would, but without attempting to fix them right away.
    From what I read in other threads, a common error with designing in sketchup appears to be drawing across existing faces, creating coincident surfaces. You could try deleting parts of your "missing" geometry to see if an exact copy remains underneath, using "undo" as necessary.
    (Edited to add:) Follow JACANTs advice first, then use netfabb to check model quality before uploading

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    If you could share your file here or thru Private Message, I'd be happy to take a look.

There are a _lot_ of drawing packages that goof up when generating triangles.
    For some reason, the programs tend to try to create the longest possible triangle, rather than reaching over to the nearest adjacent edge.

You might grab Netfabb Basic and try this tutorial....http://stonysmith.com/wired/Netfabb_Tutorial_2/d efault.asp

7. Themikepeng
    I think that is it. This only seems to happen when the detail part is very small. I will try deleting the circular parts to make the hollow part bigger.

8. Themikepeng
    It still won't show up when i delete the circular parts. the rectangular indent is skipped over completely, only a colored rectangle is there. Ususally indents this big show up, is it just my luck?

9. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I think you have a hole in your model and Shapeways will just close it hiding any geometry under it.
    Export as STL http://bit.ly/1yk7b5k and open the model in Netfabb. If it needs repairing It will show if you have any holes. They will show up as yellow lines.

Try using the 'Boolean helper' plug in http://bit.ly/1yk4Xmv This helps when you are creating very small parts.

I could have a look for you if you send the file by PM or my email below.

10. Themikepeng
    i exported it as stl and it still didn't show up, i attached my stl file for someone to take a look at it

Attached Files:

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Here's the model with most of it cleaned up.
    As I thought, most of the problem is in the way that items get triangulated.
    The algorithm tends to make the longest triangle it can, so if a small object sits on a larger flat surface, it tends to separate it into two objects.

Regardless.. enjoy.

Attached Files:

12. Themikepeng
    Thank you so much! It's amazing!!!