WSF in HO scale...? Or any other options??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 252147_deleted, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Hey Guys,

I've recently reached the half way point in one of my 3D modelling projects. Before I get anything printed and before dad can part with his hard earned money I'd like to get some feedback from you'll.

How good is WSF for HO scale trains? I hear that WSF has a grainy texture. This means my intricately designed model will have to subjected to quite a bit of fine sanding before it actually looks smooth and presentable. I'm pretty sure that the sanding is going to destroy the fine detail.

Has anyone here done models in HO scale using WSF? Or can I use another material? FUD and FD are indeed a possibility but the price may be a little steep for my budget. Another material I came across was "Metallic Plastic" that seems nice and looks grainy but heard it feels much smoother than WSF. Anyone with experience with MP?

Looking forward to some feedback.

Cheers.

2. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    I've printed my models in metallic plastic but looks too grainy for my taste

3. Thanks mate,

The good folks at Shapeways also said that "Metallic Plastic" is similar to WSF and BSF.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    'Metallic Plastic' is a misnomer - it used to be called Alumide, and is basically the same as WSF but with added powdered aluminium.

FUD has the smoothest finish, however FD might suffice.

Paul

5. Thanks mate, will look into both FD and FUD. May have to settle for FUD because of the finer 0.3mm detail.

6. dcyale
    dcyale Well-Known Member
    Take a look at my shop. I have HO details in both WSF and FUD with pictures. For some things, like concrete, the texture of SWF can work for you. I also use it for details that are not going to be front and center as it is quite a bit cheaper. But for finer models I go with FUD,

Dave Yale

7. Themikepeng
    Themikepeng Well-Known Member
    WSF is ok, i printed ho scale buses in WSF and they were fine. i you're realy picky about the texture go with WSF polished. BTW the recent price change made my ho scale models (all WSF) so expensive that they wouldn't sell and in shame i deleted many of them. seems to be indirectly affecting my n scale FUD models too because after the price change those wouldn't sell either.