HO Scale CNR Snowplows

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by sbhunterca, Oct 30, 2014.

1. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    DE Plow 4.JPG Hi, all:

I have received prints of both my CNR snowplow models.

These are distinctive models with no chance of ever showing up in the commercial marketplace, but given their complex geometry few people will ever attempt scratchbuilding them.

The prototype plows were built at the CNR's Transcona shops in the late 1930s.

One is a double ended plow (CN 55696-55699)- a rare beast indeed. I model CN's Prince Edward Island lines, where two of these plows lived.

The other is a wingless single ended plow sharing identical blade geometry... several of these served on PEI as well, and doing both helps to maximize the rewards from the work involved in designing them.

I've attached a few images, and will update my Fotki page as I proceed to complete the models:

http://public.fotki.com/sbhunterca/cn-double-ended-plo/

http://public.fotki.com/sbhunterca/cn-566xx-series-sin/

The surface finish on the double ended plow was generally good, excellent on its roof and cupola but with some fine "stair step" texture as expected on the sloping blade surfaces. The surprise on this one was a fairly heavy "fabric weave" texture on both sides- not a big deal to finish though, after a preliminary sanding, addition of a thin layer of automotive spot putty, and further sanding.

This is why I don't put rivet detail on my printed models. It's easy to add 3D rivet decals (Archer or Micro Mark) after the surfaces are smooth. I usually sand my models to 800 or 1000 grit and paint with an airbrush. Details such as handrails and grab irons will be fabricated from fine brass wire, and commercial headlight and horn castings, trucks (wheel assemblies) and couplers will be used.

The surface finish on the single ended plow was excellent- aside from mild "stair step" texture on part of the sloping blade surfaces, it was silky smooth right from the printer. I was worried as I unpacked it- the rear wall was very lumpy, obscuring the seam plate details, but that turned out to be support wax, and the surface underneath was totally smooth.

Well done, SW- I'm enjoying finishing my sample models, and I believe my customers will be very pleased.

These models were created using Pro Engineer/ Wildfire after work... not the typical choice of SW designers, but one of the finest 3D CAD programs on the market.

Having retired recently, I have been evaluating Geomagic Design/ Alibre as a design tool. I've been favourably impressed so far- fairly expensive, but extremely reasonable for such a good program.

I've designed an HO kit for a CNR flanger while I tested Alibre... I'll attach an image, and that project can be watched on my Fotki page as it develops. The test sample just went into production and will be on its way in a few days- I'm looking forward to receiving, and assembling it.

That one can be followed here:

http://public.fotki.com/sbhunterca/cn-flanger-56471/

Steve H.

DE Plow 4.JPG
    SMALL_IMGP0713.jpg
    Wingless13.JPG
    Wingless14.JPG
    Shapeways Render.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Funny what one can learn just by watching what other people are printing. Do the photographs show primed or spray-painted parts already, or is this honey-like color a new trait of the frosted ultra detail material ? (I remember someone complaining about vividly yellow-green FUD parts recently)

3. sbhunterca
    There is sometimes a very slight tint, but these parts were the translucent whitish shade you'd normally expect. The camera picked up a bit of colour from the lighting.

Steve

4. sbhunterca
    I realized I never posted photos of the finished CNR snowplow and flanger models. Here they are!

Steve

Attached Files:

5. vfxguy
    vfxguy Member
    Wow! Very nice paintwork. They look great.