Captain Vor bobblehead

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Syncrasis, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Syncrasis
    Syncrasis Member
    So I play a game called Warframe a lot, and I've been getting started with Zbrush and it just so happened that a recent game update had a little teaser of this character as a bobblehead on the dashboard of your starship. I could not resist making that little easter egg into a real thing...

So here we are. I put it together and it works pretty well, I'm going to be making a silicone mold from it so I can paint it without worrying about ruining $140 worth of plastic lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Zbrush model:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the print (frosted ultra detail) has retained a remarkable amount of details. Even his little Void key has its markings:

[​IMG]

It's a little hard to tell with the material being transparent, but it's all there. There was some gummy dust material I had to clean out of the cracks, but it was easy to do with a scalpel. The photos were taken before I cleaned everything up. Overall I am very happy with this! Very satisfying to see your own digital models come into reality.

Thanks, Shapeways!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    It is not recommended to sculpt game characters from any game. You can get hit bit their lawyers ...

Other than that ,looks good!

3. ProjectMobius
    ProjectMobius Well-Known Member
    That looks amazing. I played Warframe for a bit until I got bored of it because the missions and stuff got too repetitive. I remember I was using a warrior with rhino gears. I'm guessing your next models will be all the warframes? They are all very organic looking.

4. Syncrasis
    Syncrasis Member
    Ahh, good advice... I won't be selling him though, just going to make a couple so I can send one along with my 3D modeling portfolio to Digital Extreme when I apply for a job, lol. I am hoping this will make me a little more memorable!

I don't know if I'm going to do any of the Warframes themselves, I'm a lot more interested in the bosses. If I get positive feedback about this model from DE, I'd like to do Alad V next, he is my favorite badly-dressed villain. Also, a Vay Hek bobblehead would be terrifying (and wonderful)

Thanks for the feedback! I will update this thread when I've added paint and/or Void key candies.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  5. Darkseal
    Darkseal Member
    Very awesome. I was sculpting a Lotus the other day.... not finished yet though.

6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I hope you have some experience with mold-making - all those pass-throughs are going to be a real challenge; you'll have to shim them somehow. That's where 3D printing comes in handy - you can print the shim in place!

7. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Wouldn't it be simpler to print and mold as separate parts where possible, instead of having to clean up the (thick?) flash of the printed shim?

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    That's certainly one way to do it, Stannum - each has its pros and cons...

I'm actually reading a book on sculpting and mold-making right now since this is something that I was going to get into years ago (well before 3D Printing came along), and I'm thinking to myself now (having done some small projects), um, no, that is WAY too much work and equipment, supplies, mess and time... !!