Letters deep and with relationship on Gold Plated Brass

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by TonyRR, Aug 23, 2014.

1. TonyRR
    TonyRR Well-Known Member
    Hi.

In your experience I want to know the ideal relationship between width and deep of letters, to be printed in Gold Plated Brass. I've uploaded a model with deeper letters than its width -1.5 mm depth, for 1 or 1.2 mm thick-, and the wall thickness check marked it as OK. It will be printed OK or it will be refused?

Another question. I've designed and printed different models -with letters- but each model comes out with different sharpness, so I don't know what will be the exact relationship to reach the best results -well defined raised letters-. The manual polishing and plating process results in different finishes so I don't know the exact result until I got it on my hands! Any way to have a more precise result?

I know that's a different material but I've just received two identical parts in polished white plastic, and one of them has less detail!!! They look totally different for the polishing process -one sharper, the other one dull-. The polishing process must be best controlled.

Many thanks for your help.

Best

2. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    Hi,

At that scale your letters will print out great. It is near the limit of 0.35mm where letters, especially for debossings, become less visible due to the gaps either fusing together in the print and/or the plating fusing together in or over the gap. In my experience embossings come out great even at the smallest size. You have to imagine a layer of liquid being stretched around your object. It will well follow curved surfaces but at creases the sharp angles the surface tension gets interrupted. Also large straight surfaces can better be made curved to maintain surface layer tension.
    It would be great if we can collect examples of printed metal items together with the detail level.

My example is a plated rose gold, text height 3mm. As you can see detail level is still magnificent although the thin sections get visibly thinner due to the plating.

Attached Files: