What kind of products should we sell? A survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 468435_deleted, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hi everybody.

We put together a survey to find out what kind of products people want / need. It's a simple survey, the question is always the same: would you have the product on the picture (or something similar) in your home? Yes / No. :)

The poll closes on the 10th of August. If you give us your email address in the end we'll email you the results, so you can study them for yourself. I promise, we won't spam you constantly, but you'll be subscribed to our newsletter. After we send the results you can obviously just simply unsubscribe if you don't want any more emails. :)

Please help us find out what products need to be 3d printed by filling this form and sending it to your friends!

The survey is here:

http://goo.gl/a0u1Le

Thank for the help,
    Dave

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I do not believe this survey makes much sense without knowing what your actual designs are going to look like - few will feel a dire need for a 3d-printed wall clock or unspecified "insects" no matter what the details. (And calling a startup company "Folds" does not sound overly optimistic either...)

3. MayCrown
    MayCrown Member
    I've completed survey. Thé products are very good, yet I would like to see like 20 percent of them in my home. Every product can be sold I think. I liked the wall clock with birds, big ben, astronaut, book end, tea bag holding sail, bronze apple, tooth shaped toothbrush holder, Miniature car most and would like to have at home. Thé other ones are still good looking and well designs, but I wouldn't like to see an insect or the fat Lady who's having time with the cellphone. And just 1 design among all, only 1, I didn't find satisfactory is the low Poly deer. It just lacks the Feeling of a good design.

By the way, you can visit my shop (I'm just at the beginning, so there are less items) and criticise openly like I do.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Thanks for the comments! Great feedback MayCrown.

Interesting to see the reactions. The iPad dock does not seem to be very popular, but that one is actually an existing product by Scott Eaton:
    http://fab.com/product/venus-of-cupertino-356180/

Also the golden insect is a pretty popular item in Zara home - they run out of stock very quickly.

As results are coming in, and we can compare things like what I mentioned, it really makes me think... Maybe the image of these are not good enough? What can be the reason behind their popularity in real life and the poor results in the survey...?

mkroeker:
    Thanks for your opinion. I disagree however, I think it can give a broad idea what people want. All the items represent some general idea. If people like the custom chess set then one can deduct that they will like a custom chess set with orks or spaceships as figurines.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    So your survey is using pictures of "foreign" copyrighted design works throughout in the quest if you should offer something similar ? Not sure if that is entirely ethical (or legal, for that matter).

6. No, you misunderstand. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, that might be true. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for accusing me of stealing other people's artwork, I can only repeat myself: the survey is presenting certain types of products. Certain categories that I think are important or represent a big chunk of design. The ipad dock represents "designer iPad docks" as the header says as well... There are busts, globes, small things, clocks, bookends etc. I had no intention of copying that work. Rather than if I see in the survey that a designer dock is popular, I think it might be profitable to invest in designing my own dock ideas.

But thanks for the tip, I get now that it might be easy to misunderstand the situation. I'll make sure to update and give the proper credits where I can.

7. The main problem is that you're polling other designers - you need to find and ask your target market. Yes, we are all people and therefore our interests may overlap, but we're not really the people you should be asking.

As for where that audience is - that's the hard part that the designer/marketer has to figure out!