Home » Support » 3D Design » Design rules for 3d printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Design rules for 3d printing [message #93604] Tue, 08 July 2014 12:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar rizwan_elias  is currently offline rizwan_elias
Go to all my models
Hi,
I am trying to compile a list of design rules that could/should be followed in order to successfully model and manufacture a part by 3d printing. As we are aware, 3d printing has given us more freedom in the design state, however, it has its limits, for example there has to be a minimum wall thickness , or overhangs should have support structures, etc. I believe some rules will apply to certain technologies, materials or features.
Anyway, what rules do you think we should follow when designing for 3d printing?
Looking forward to your replies.
Re: Design rules for 3d printing [message #93609 is a reply to message #93604 ] Tue, 08 July 2014 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Something to consider... "minimum" thicknesses need to be expressed in terms of how large an object is.
If you are making something 15cm long, it will need to be significantly thicker than something that is only 1cm long.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Design rules for 3d printing [message #93613 is a reply to message #93604 ] Tue, 08 July 2014 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
When you print with Shapeways, the Materials pages tell you most of what you need to know.
Re: Design rules for 3d printing [message #93624 is a reply to message #93604 ] Tue, 08 July 2014 20:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker is currently online mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
If you are looking for design rules specific to printing with shapeways, you can find them on the Materials pages as mentioned by AmLachDesigns. These are to some degree dependent on the processes used, but also on the requirements for safe and efficient handling and cleaning of parts in a service company the size of shapeways. If you have all the time in the world and/or only a short distance from the printer to a showcase where the part will spend its entire service life, you can probably get away with much thinner structures. On the other hand, including dedicated support structures for overhangs in your designs is a specific requirement of fdm printers not relevant to the processes shapeways uses. So if you are looking to compile a set of design rules that encompass all printing processes and environments from the simplest home printer to the most advanced and/or experimental industrial processes you are probably not going to achieve that goal.

Previous Topic:Casting, Escape Holes, and Internal Volumes.
Next Topic:Printed Hinges (w/no assembly)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.