Home » Community » It arrived! » Math and...Cartography?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Math and...Cartography? [message #91188] Wed, 04 June 2014 06:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar Illogical  is currently offline Illogical
Go to my shop
I just received a bunch of new products for my shop but the two I'm most excited about are the Waterman Globe and the Negative Mobius.

The Waterman Globe is a pendant based off the unique Waterman butterfly projection, a special map of the earth designed to minimize distortions using sphere-packing algorithms. The projection imagines the earth as a truncated octahedron which is unfolded flat into a map. But what would it look like if you folded it back into a globe? Now you can have the answer and some style at the same time.
https://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_1745767_3017087_1401860627.jpg

The Negative Mobius is another pendant. By cutting a specially curved slot through a torus, a Mobius strip is formed in the negative space. There are plenty of Mobius strips here on Shapeways, but how many of them are nonexistant? Well, one now.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_1733538_3017049_1401860573.jpg
Re: Math and...Cartography? [message #91207 is a reply to message #91188 ] Wed, 04 June 2014 14:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Whoa, these are beautiful! What great concepts for jewelry. The earth is my favorite :)

Are you planning on doing these in any other metals?

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Math and...Cartography? [message #91256 is a reply to message #91207 ] Wed, 04 June 2014 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Illogical  is currently offline Illogical
Go to my shop
I would love to get them printed in precious and semi-precious metals, and plan to some time in the future. For now, though, I have a bunch of products that are still unlisted and I'd like to get at least one test print of each one so I can make them available to the public.

They are available in precious and semi-precious metals, at least all of the ones I can be confident will print correctly.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2014 20:48 UTC]

Re: Math and...Cartography? [message #92091 is a reply to message #91256 ] Tue, 17 June 2014 08:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Sloris  is currently offline Sloris
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I love the negative mobius. Great concept and it's beautifully executed.

Reignite the whimsy of childhood. Reinvent the ritual of adulthood. http://www.sloris.com

Previous Topic:More pieces have arrived !!
Next Topic:"Perfect" Klein bottle

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.