Math and...Cartography?

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Illogical, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Illogical
    Illogical Member
    I just received a bunch of new products for my shop but the two I'm most excited about are the Waterman Globe and the Negative Mobius.

The Waterman Globe is a pendant based off the unique Waterman butterfly projection, a special map of the earth designed to minimize distortions using sphere-packing algorithms. The projection imagines the earth as a truncated octahedron which is unfolded flat into a map. But what would it look like if you folded it back into a globe? Now you can have the answer and some style at the same time.
    [​IMG]

The Negative Mobius is another pendant. By cutting a specially curved slot through a torus, a Mobius strip is formed in the negative space. There are plenty of Mobius strips here on Shapeways, but how many of them are nonexistant? Well, one now.
    [​IMG]

2. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Whoa, these are beautiful! What great concepts for jewelry. The earth is my favorite :)

Are you planning on doing these in any other metals?

3. Illogical
    Illogical Member
    I would love to get them printed in precious and semi-precious metals, and plan to some time in the future. For now, though, I have a bunch of products that are still unlisted and I'd like to get at least one test print of each one so I can make them available to the public.

They are available in precious and semi-precious metals, at least all of the ones I can be confident will print correctly.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. Sloris
    Sloris Member
    I love the negative mobius. Great concept and it's beautifully executed.