Photoshop - Colour Sandstone

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by chad19, May 30, 2014.

1. chad19
    chad19 Member
    I decided to give uv mapping a try so I could play around with full colour sandstone, I do my modeling in either AutoCAD or solidworks. I have Photoshop so I decided to give that a shot to create the map but whenever I try to upload the file photoshop creates to shapeways I get an error.

"We're unable to process this file. Check your file for errors and click 'Update File' to upload a new version."

Does anybody have experience using photoshop for mapping? Is it even giving me the correct version of a .wrl file? Or should I just forget this and go with another program?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I have not used Photoshop for model creation yet, can you share the wrl so we can try to assess what's wrong?

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The wrl file should be readable text - check that the first line of that file mentions "VRML 2.0" and not the earlier 1.0 version of the format.

4. chad19
    chad19 Member
    When viewed as text the file says VRML 2.0 at the top. I've attached the complete zip folder that photoshop created.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  5. mkroeker
    The double .zip extension will probably not help - also the zip should contain only the wrl and the JPG, no other files.
    (I have not yet checked with meshlab, but at least it looks good with view3dscene.)

6. chad19
    chad19 Member
    I made the changes you suggested (See attached), but still get the same error message when I try to upload.

Attached Files:

7. mkroeker
    Open the wrl in a text editor (notepad or whatever) and remove the two occurences of the keyword "DEF" and the 6in... label that follows them.
    This appears to be a limitation in shapeways' vrml converter - it is syntactically correct vrml.
    At that point it will upload, but it is a bit hard to see in the initial preview if the geometry is entirely correct (white object on white background) and the
    model page has not updated yet for me.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. chad19
    chad19 Member
    That worked perfectly, thank you for the help.

9. mkroeker
    Upload looks good with the corrected file, except for a visible seam running diagonally across the label (and same on backside) that was already visible
    in view3dscene (freeware cross-platform vrml/x3d viewer) - bit like those painkiller tablets that are grooved to be easily split in half. Probably the texture
    does not fit exactly, or actually contains a darker seam line in that area - hard to tell if this will be visible in the actual print.

10. chad19
    chad19 Member
    Apparently the model wasn't perfectly flat in photoshop when I was colouring it, so when I exported it for printing it put a ridge in.

11. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    Yup!

Opened the wrl in Blender. Is a geometry flaw, not texture, which is actually fine (attached screenshots). You can easily see the level jump, and the extra added triangles. Easy to flatten all, tho. Being a simple shape, might be better use tho to just make a basic short cilinder with the wished dimensions and proportions, then bevel/round as desired the border and that's it. I say as I'm seeing like bumps in the border, and I doubt you wanted those... Oh, the texture does not need to be flipped. You can instead flip the UV mapping, and would make it easier for you , or anyone else, to edit the texture.

Cheers!

PD: The double ridge you see is not that it has 2 ridges in the same face. Is just that Blender allows seing the backside in wireframe mode. That is, you made the bevel or ridge through both faces, it seems....IMHO, seems like you have pulled one half towards up or something. (Or pushed down the other. Or made the thing with two halves and not welding at same height. Dunno, I neither have used PS for modelling, but 2D. )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  12. Hello,

I am having a similar issue. Although I am able to upload the file without getting an error message, the material is not mapping properly. Ends up smaller than the model (see attached image file). I've also uploaded the zip with .wrl and material .jpeg if you'd be so kind to take a look.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Trying to get this printed today.

Thank you

Attached Files:

13. mkroeker
    There is a wide gray margin around the lettering in your texture image although the textured IndexedFaceSets appear to describe just the flat front and back face of the model. If you crop the image it will fit (some margins visible on the characters in "my" version as I was sloppy. I also had to make a few changes in the wrl to make it load in view3dscene for previewing)

14. Silvanus
    Silvanus Well-Known Member
    Seems mkroeker replied at the same time than I was having a glance at it.

I am attaching a very fast fix, just a fast uvmap, although somehow I (wrongly?) supposed you only wanted one side textured...The mesh seems to have several problems, though. You might want to fix the mesh properly (blender and netfabb basic come handy), and also probably edit the texture in Photoshop or other 2D software so that the edges fit well. (well, or fine tune the UV vertices to make it match )

The mesh is not the same, I am uploading merely it as an example of a possible fix. BTW, only 0'54 mm width ? :eek:. Isn't this going to be not possible in this material ?

PD: Uploaded a zip with 2 zips inside, each with a different format: OBJ and WRL.

Attached Files:

15. Thank you so much, both of you, for having a look. @mkroeker that seems like the easiest fix for me to wrap my skill set around. So, for clarification, you just cropped the Layer_2 JPEG? Also, what did you have to do to the .wrl file to get it to load properly in view3dscene ?

Again, thank you.

16. mkroeker
    Yes, cropping the texture image was the primary action. For view3dscene, I removed two instances of the IndexedFaceSet that had invalid texCoordIndex and coordIndex entries ( just "0 0 0 -1" in each case) and replaced the individual instances of the "children" keyword before each Shape with a single "children[" between the "Transform{" and the first "Shape" (and corresponding closing bracket before the last closing brace at the end of the file). I have not checked if your usage of "children" is supported by the VRML standard, but at least it is unfamiliar. From the rendering of a wireframe view in view3dscene, I suspect some of the triangles in the IndexedFaceSet that makes up the "front" and "back" of the characters have wrong winding order of vertices (resulting face normal pointing to other side than the majority) but I did not investigate further. (Usually shapeways' site software is able to fix such issues for you)