polishing stones

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by aryser, May 12, 2014.

1. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    does anyone has experiences with stuck polishing stones.
    I was told by Shapeways:
    "The problem is that the stones do not have the same size, so some of them get stuck and some of them don't. The only thing to prevent it is to make the holes either bigger or smaller.Or you can indeed choose not to get your models polished."

But I do not like to change the size of the differently sized holes and I like to polish and dye.

thanks

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Do you have a picture of the stuck stone?
    I've had material stuck in some stainless prints. I just used a needle to pluck it out.

3. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    polishing stone.JPG
    I might be able to push them out.
    but
    1. Shapeways normaly does not want to deilver them.
    2. selling products with polishing stones inside is not so good.

4. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    One of my turbine fidget rings came back with a polishing stone within the turbine. The plastic was flexible enough that I could remove it with tweezers without damaging it.

5. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    I don't use polished SF for my own models, but I have to say that any models delivered with parts of the manufacturing "machinery" stuck in them smack of poor Quality Control processes at the factory...

6. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    I had the choice! They were only delivered after asking me! I wished to get the part to improve the design!

7. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    Problem solved!
    The polishing stones stuck because my construction worked like a fish trap for the polishing stones.
    Polishing stones.jpg
    It is nice to see them!