Hello Eveyone!

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by VeloFab, May 7, 2014.

1. VeloFab
    VeloFab Member
    Hi Everyone!

I've been a shapeways user for a about a year for personal projects and I'm about to launch a shop, pretty excited about it. I've been working on various iterations of my models for some time now . Its great to see so much support in the community.

One thing I'm still curious about is pricing, more specifically the odd prices that I see in shops. I understand how the markup works, though I wonder why nobody rounds up the markup to a round number for example $10 instead of $9.94.

Is this because the base price from Shapeways can fluctuate? I also appreciate the exchange rate between currencys can change, but as I'm based in the UK I see all my prices in Euros and feel , especially if I decide to sell on my own external site in the future that round prices would make more sense.

Has anyone experimented with rounding up/down selling prices?

thanks all

Peter (velofab)

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome! (at least to the forums)

Personally, I have OCD about prices and like rounded off numbers, but I've been told that $9.99 is more appealing than $10 for some reason.

Being in the UK will make keeping your pricing difficult, at least in Euros. Our prices don't fluctuate. But our prices are in US dollars. So we convert to Euros for European members, Your markup won't change but the base price will fluctuate with the values of the currency. There is also VAT that adds to the difficulty of setting a final nice round price.

3. VeloFab
    VeloFab Member
    Hi ,thanks for the reply, that all makes sense.

Will my shop automatically display prices on Euros as I am UK based and is this something i have control over? I.e. would it be more beneficial to display my prices in dollars if a wider audience of buyers are outside of Europe? Or does the curreny displayed automatically switch between Dollars and Euros depending on where the buyer is located?

thanks again

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    It's based on where your buyer is located.