Commercial glue that works with Strong&Flexible Plastic ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Narada_Dan_Vantari, May 4, 2014.

1. Narada_Dan_Vantari
    Narada_Dan_Vantari Well-Known Member
    Does anyone have experience with what glues will work reliably with the Strong & Flexible Plastic ?
    Brand names would be good as well as generic types of glue as I am in Australia and the brands may be different.
    Thanks ~

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Hi.

I've fantastic results with carpenter's glue, white glue or polyvinyl acetate -three names for the same old useful stuff-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

Due to high porousity of this material, superglue is useless. But this white glue act on it as it was cardboard or wood.

I've glued even the tiny feet of a pinup 1/24 figure on a wooden (non varnished) base and the reult is enough solid to lift her from the body.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Luis

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Epoxy works. So does superglue. But you have to apply to both clean parts (clean! no free dust) and let dry, then more cyanoacrylate and join them. Or do the thin CA trick: place the parts, and then apply the glue to the joint, so it fills in by capilarity. Probably gel superglue also works. Acrylic paint can also be used as glue, not too strong but at least waterproof.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The benefit of both the wight glue and the epoxy is the bond will be flexible.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Or buy the superglue formula targeted at flexible materials. Even plain type seem to remain flexible if SF to SF (or using as coating); you notice it's not as flexible as before, but it doesn't go 100% rigid either.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Oh, ok, I didn't know that there is a flexible version of CA glue. That's good to know. :)

7. Narada_Dan_Vantari
    Narada_Dan_Vantari Well-Known Member
    Thanks everyone.
    Sounds easier than I thought.
    Ive had bad experiences trying to glue plastics
    but I guess all plastics are different.