What's the best way to create a printed Hinge?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 535525_deleted, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

I created a 3D Model of a box with a lid, which is attached to the box by a hinge.

Both parts should be printed at once, creating an interlocking.

Here's a little picture of the way I want the hinge to look like. (I pulled the green part out a little so you can see it better)
    test.JPG

The Material thickness is 1mm, and there is a gap of 0.3mm between the hinged elements.

However, I'm not sure, if this way of joining the parts, will eventually work, since the gap might not be wide enough to release any filling material.

So here are my questions:
    - Does anyone have an experience with a hinge like the one above. Will it work.
    - From you experience. What's the best way of printing a hinge.

Thanks
    Karl

P.S.: Material wise I haven't descided yet. Probably silver, bronze and / or hard plastic

2. The goal would be to create a hinge like in this medaillion:

test2.JPG

3. cellophaan
    cellophaan Member
    You can't make this in silver or bronze. It has to do with the way they are printed. The material descriptions states if "interlocking and enclosed parts" are possible. For the metals, it isn't possible.

But you can do this in some other materials, such as Strong & Flexible PLastic. The minimum gap between the elements is described as "clearance". For strond&flexible, the clearance should be at least 0.5mm. Several people have had success with smaller clearances, but if the shapeways people see it they may reject the model since they cannot guarantee that the parts won't fuse together.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Well, you cannot do it in situ, but you can do it in such a way that it can be assembled. You'd just sprue the parts together, and then, upon receiving the order you would cut them apart and assemble them.

One good way of doing it would be to use the method used to make watch band hinges via stainless steel spring bars.

5. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    UniverseBecoming - that's a great idea!

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    ^ Oh thanks! :D