Movable Parts Help

Discussion in 'Materials' started by duram, Mar 30, 2014.

1. duram
    duram Member
    When printing movable parts what is the distance between them I have to draw
    to print tight but not totally hard to move so i´ll not need polishing later?

For instance: an hole and an axle, if the axle has 2mm what will be the hole diameter?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Depends entirely upon the material you select. Look on the Material pages for the various Clearances:

FUD: 2.10mm
    WSF: 3.0mm
    FCS: 3.8mm

3. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I thought I'd add my question here instead of starting a new thread. I have a rather simple axle that I'm using in some new S&F ornaments so you can rotate the ornament relative to the hanger if necessary. Unfortunately only one out of about eight is loose and rotatable, and that one is a purple S&F fabricated independently in a separate order. I have the same problem with ordinary WSF versions so it's not a simple matter of powder being glued in place by the dye. For a first pass I went with 0.6mm gaps between the two pieces which seemed like a good enough 20% safety margin since the spec is 0.5mm minimum for S&F and metallic plastic.

axle.jpg

So I guess my question is what gaps should I be using to get better yield? And is there anything else I could do? The end plates on the spool looking part are 1.2mm thick and it looks as if they may be cupping a bit so maybe thickening them a bit would reduce the cupping? I think at the very least the length of the central axle should be increased so gaps between the horizontal plates are closer to 1mm. More wiggle room should get rid of powder that might be caked in there unless it's partially solidified powder spanning the gap which brings back again to increasing the gap around the axle.