What's the simplest, and least expensive use of software for producing a model from photographs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 435524_deleted, Mar 15, 2014.

1. I realize it's a personal choice... but, if you can help me reduce the "trial and error" time I'd appreciate it.
    These are the ones suggested, but what combination would be simplest... best?

*Trimble, SketchUp and Tinkercad, web-based modeling tools with great online tutorials
    *123D and Inventor Fusion, free tools from AutoDesk
    *Blender, an open source free 3D animation package
    *Rhino, a versatile commercial tool that exports directly to STL
    *Maya, a powerful high end commercial modeling, animation and visual effects tool (think Hollywood)
    *Solidworks, a 3D CAD tool that works well with Shapeways

I'm partial to open source, so I'm leaning towards AutoDesk or Blender. But are you saying that I'll need more than one of these... if so, what combination of software is needed to go from start (uploading pictures) to finish (exporting to a file type accepted by Shapeways)?

Is Netfabb the best option for getting something to scale? Is it used for anything else in the process of producing a model file?

2. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    I'm working with autodesk inventor. Only reason is that my solidworks copy is a little unestable. But to manage pictures, drawings and blueprints I always have the autocad open in a side.

Try working with Solidworks and forget blender (I use it too many times with my full color models, but it's an unfriendly software to work with it).

Good luck!

Luis

3. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    If you're going for least expensive, maya and solidworks are a no-go. Except if you can use a maya student license (free) or obtain the programs illegal.
    Both programs aren't easy to learn either. Solidworks has great sketching tools and you can import .ai and .psd files as a sketch. I know very little of maya, except that my bunny fell apart everytime I wanted it to hop. It is great for animation with all cool effects like fur and fire, but I have no clue about the modelling.
    Blender is great with shortcuts, and just horrible with everything else. it's free, it has many tools (you can even use the maya like interface), it just doesn't tell you where you can find those tools. They are hidden somewhere in your keyboard.

For the other tools, I have no personal experience. I heard they are easy to learn. They will probably have less options, that's all.
    I never use Netfabb, because solidworks sketches can be given dimensions. And every objected can be measured and scaled, so there is no need for an extra program.

For the picture importing, if it's a black and white picture, you can use the easy creators of Shapeways.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    afaik, 123D is the only 'free' software out there that can convert photo to a 3D file.
    you'll need photos of the item from multiple angles for the best result, however, even then you mighnt need to do some tidying up for a 3D printable file. Depending on what tidying up is needed to create the 3D printable file you'll need some understanding of what needs doing with whichever 'free/open source' software out there.

Paul.

[hr][hr]

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    What do you want to make? Can you post the images?

If you're thinking of working from images like top, bottom, sides, front and back views, then I'd recommend DesignSpark Mechanical. DesignSpark Mechanical is a reduced function version of SpaceClaim. Best thing about it is it's free. Over the years I've tried all of the software out there just about and I'd say that DesignSpark Mechanical is by far the easiest to use. I was able to start using the basic aspects of it without having to look at any kind of instructional material. The software is extremely intuitive. Careful though, as this first release does not include a 3D mirroring command, but does have a 2D mirroring command.

To set up reference image planes you would simply draw a 2D plane, select it, and then paste the image from the clipboard or load them from the hard drive using the insert menu. From there you can scale the plane with the image to the exact scale you want to work in.

Over the last month or so I've been upgrading my hardware and when I finish I plan to make some DesignSpark Mechanical tutorial videos.