Need help getting a quote from Protomold.

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by BobNelson, Mar 12, 2014.

1. BobNelson
    BobNelson Member
    Friends,

I created a clip that I think might be marketable but the companies I have talked to are not interested. It seems I would need to sell it myself and so it has been for sale here at shapeways but evidently the price for 3Dprinting is too high. I cannot afford the prices given by injection mold factories so someone suggested I go to Protomold. Unfortunately I cannot get a quote from them using my .stl file I used here. I downloaded Freecad and tried importing from .stl and exporting to several other formats but all were rejected at Protomold.

Here is a quote from the rejection email: "We received the following file(s) from you, but we are unable to process them. If possible, please resend as a 3D model(s) in one or more of the following file formats: native SolidWorks (.sldprt) and ProE (.prt) files; files from other CAD systems output in IGES (.igs), STEP (.stp), Parasolid (.x_t or .x_b), ACIS (.sat); and AutoCAD (.ipt and .dwg, 3D only)."

It may be that their quote would still be too expensive but I would like to at least get a price before giving up on what seems a good invention. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Sincerely,
    Bob Nelson
    p.s. you can see the 11cm long clip at my RNWordshop shapeways shop.

2. WonderMingStudio
    WonderMingStudio Well-Known Member