Has anyone ever considered forming a group shop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LHDesigns, Feb 11, 2014.

1. LHDesigns
    LHDesigns Member
    I know there are small teams of designers who are friends or going to college together. Things like that, but I was wondering if people ever hookup on the forums to create shops? I think it would be interesting to join up with a couple of people to share shop strategies with, and learn what they find works well for sales, marketing and even what software they find to have the best tools. It seems like 90% of being successful on Shapeways and other sites is having your shop and products discovered. If there are any other designers out there who are as obsessed with growing and improving there shop's, I would love to hear about it. I would even be interested in joining up with people to create a shop. Post your thoughts!!

2. Nchandler
    Nchandler Member
    Haha, I am the college Shapeways shop. lol

I would love to see a group shop. how cool would it be to see models designed by multiple people and get helpful hints or even sharing models within the group to help others get past certain obstacles.

It would help people learn better, faster ways to design and 3D print and create connections within the modeling community for future collaboration. :)

Count me in!

3. LHDesigns
    LHDesigns Member
    I really like your Blender phone case!! Blender is what got me into 3D!

I think a group shop with a mission would be great! All proceeds could go toward the Blender foundation, or a charity something like that.

4. Nchandler
    Nchandler Member
    Thanks! It's not my best. Lol it was something I made for myself and I wanted to make it in time for the white Christmas special discount. It realy cool to have as a case though.

I like the blender foundation idea!!! It's really cool of those guys to take the time to develope a free program. It's my first 3D program too! As well as being my first art program :)

I'd happy to spend a little more time on the iPhone case, make iPhone 5/S versions, and move it to the group shop as a start! :)

Sorry for the late RP.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. LHDesigns
    LHDesigns Member
    Sounds cool to me, I'll start working on creating a new shop, Got any ideas for names?

6. Nchandler
    Nchandler Member
    Oh boy, names. I suck at names :p

I'll post anything that comes to mind.

What kind of name were you thinking?

Blender specific:

Dot blend

Blend fund

Non specific:

Modelers4Developers <-- to long?

4theDevelopers

Group fund

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. LHDesigns
    LHDesigns Member
    Alright, I just made a generic shop. I'm working on a special order right now, but after that I will put a little love into this.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Contribute_Opensource

We can change the name, and spruce it up as we go. I'm not great with names either! lol

I will PM you the user name and password