Don't want to recieve model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Freakazoitt, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    What if I don't want to receive the printed model?
    Because there is too much fuss with postal service.

Is it possible to give printed model to Shapeways team and recieve seweral photos instead to put it into model page?

2. Freakazoitt
    p.s. not printed yet, just assuming

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Have it delivered to a friend (or professional photographer studio) who can take pictures for you, or arrange for said friend to order it if you are in different countries ? Not sure if it would make sense for shapeways to invest in providing such a service, as you would want more than just some office guy snapping a quick picture with his mobile phone.

4. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Simple solution: move to New York or Eindhoven - they offer pick-up service, I believe.

If "postal service" is considered a "fuss", you have no problems in life.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. mkroeker
    So far we do not know what the "fuss" is - depending on where freakazoit lives, it might be huge import taxes, parcels getting lost or stolen, or having to travel out of town to collect the parcel at some UPS depot or customs office...

Perhaps look at who favorited items in your shop, and has a shop here with decent pictures of their own objects, and then PM them if they would be willing to help ? (Shapeways' policy of requiring billing and shipping adresses to be in the same country might be a bit of an obstacle here, but you might find some way of reimbursement outside of shapeways e.g. if you both use paypal already)

6. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    You might consider finding an Ebay drop-off store to do this work for you. I don't think they are officially connected with Ebay so their rules and fees would be variable. But if you could somehow get the item to one of these places they would likely charge a few bucks to take decent photos and do a listing for you on Ebay. Since it would be a consignment type sale they would charge a large percentage of the selling price. If it does sell you might get a rough idea of what your model is worth, and if it doesn't it doesn't sound like you care what happens to it if they can't ship it back to you.

I doesn't sound like Shapeways wants to get into the business of taking photos but maybe they could forge an agreement with a company that could do this. All it would require is a check box on the order form to divert a model shipment to the third party location. The customer would continue to be charged for shipment since it is being shipped and Shapeways could save on overall shipping costs since several orders going to the third party could be sent in the same box. Sounds like a win-win for everybody. There is an opportunity for an entrepreneur to step into this void!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  7. Freakazoitt
    This model: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1657130/test-print-1.html

Recieving this will be long story - first, Russian customs I can't write about them without bad words
    Then, some wonders from postal service
    Then, it will arrive to my city after month and when it actually arrived, they may say it wasn't

If I want to suffer all this, I'll order more valuable models later, not small testing one

I know, recieving other models and making photo is not anyone business, but if there are already some expirience with such things?

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    How about this. Find someone in your city that can print it for you and then take your own pictures and upload them to your Shapeways shop. That might not seem right, being that Shapeways didn't actually print the product, but the thing is, everyone uses the same machines all over the world. There are only a few machines that everyone is using from a few 3D printing machine manufactures, so it's easy to find out what Shapeways is using and find the same in your city.

Not for brass and silver though. For these two materials there is quite a bit of skill involved with the production of these, so everybody is going to produce something different.

9. mkroeker
    If you are reasonably sure that the parts are good enough, you could also just try offering them for sale with something like
    "These parts have not been test printed as I have difficulties with deliveries to my country. If you buy them, please send me a few pictures"