Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Non-manifold after stacking several model parts.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8540] Thu, 24 December 2009 17:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar BananaMan  is currently offline BananaMan
Go to all my models
Hello Shapers!

I'm having problems with a model I made.

The problem is as followed: The model is perfectly printable aslong as the parts are not stacked together. BUT, whenever I stack the parts together it gives me the non-manifold error.

http://i48.tinypic.com/5mfpj7.jpg
This image might show what I mean. The 5 parts on the right are stacked on top of eachother to form the 2 objects on the left.

The 5 parts exported seperatly work perfectly, the 2 models on the right give me the non-manifold errors.

----
Does anybody know what causes this? (does the server try to boolean the object together before sending them too the printer?) And is there a way of fixing this?

Thank you for your help Smile
Re: Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8541 is a reply to message #8540 ] Thu, 24 December 2009 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wolfdagon  is currently offline Wolfdagon
Go to all my models
I am very new to this, so I may be wrong. But I have noticed that when I try to stack parts like this in Sketchup I get the same problem. I think it is because where the parts touch it shows as a surface within the part. If you can delete that surface without affecting the rest of the model it should clear up the problem I think.
Re: Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8542 is a reply to message #8541 ] Thu, 24 December 2009 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ye that's what i was thinking off aswell, problem is that i need these parts to intersect because it has to be 1 piece. If I these parts don't intersect it might cause fragile seams on the places where 2 objects come together.

But it's worth a shot, maybe a tiny offset is enough to fix this problem. Thanks for the help Very Happy
Re: Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8603 is a reply to message #8540 ] Tue, 29 December 2009 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
Try deliberately overlapping your objects.
If you have objects that you are aligning exactly, then you may get vertices with the same x,y,z position. If the export or import merges any of these identical vertices, then your resulting mesh will be non-manifold.
Re: Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8610 is a reply to message #8540 ] Wed, 30 December 2009 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hmm sounds like something that might work, the problem is that that's part of the design. And I can't really change the design.
Re: Non-manifold after stacking several model parts. [message #8716 is a reply to message #8540 ] Mon, 04 January 2010 09:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wolfdagon is right: when you're joining these objects you are probably left with internal and coincident faces, and these are detected as being nonmanifold. You'll have to clean up your mesh, I'm afraid..

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Rhino simple bullet with manifold problems
Next Topic:Open Source CAD

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.